Text first.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zlandman, May 14, 2019.

1. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, i would consider the information relevant and useful if he is offering to pickup sticks prior to your arrival. Unless you are going there every single day the same day, but you're saying it's not the same day every week, right?

Either way, it's up to you, i know it's annoying, i have a couple who want to knwo ahead of time. I let them know and some of them have to know in order to leave gate open.

Charles, weeze, Cam15 and 1 other person like this.
  2. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

What TIME?

Yeah, I'll be there at 2:15... or 2:35 if I decide I want to sit in my truck and scratch myself for a minute while catching some cool AC.

I'll be there when I get there.

3. Mumblingboutmowers

Mumblingboutmowers LawnSite Senior Member

The problem that I have with notifying ahead of time is that I never know my schedule one day to the next due to the weather or unplanned emergencies or extras at a job. I do my best to plan a schedule but the weather often disrupts it. You can't plan your schedule based on what the weatherman says as he has proven himself wrong many times. Even in the morning, while I may have a plan I never know if I will complete what I plan to for the day.

While I will make exceptions for special situations I would not make it a practice to notify ahead of time, because I don't want to have to spend time to notify a second time that I can't make it after I said I would or worse yet not be able to send a second notification that I am not coming, then you have a very unhappy customer "he said he was showing up today and didn't!"

The whole thing is too much like punching a "time clock" to me.

4. OP
    OP
    zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

EXACTLY! And I've had that happen more than once. Commit to this guy then realize if I could knock this other thing out first I would save $x and 1 hour. But now I can't take that opportunity to be more efficient unless I mess over the plan with this guy.

Cam15 and Mumblingboutmowers like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I know. Literally replies back "what time??"

I can be a smart ... and it's so tempting to reply back with something inappropriate and completely unprofessional.

Come to think of it I did get delayed once and replied back "sorry I got waylaid" (held up) he thought that meant I was late because of something else.

hort101 and Mumblingboutmowers like this.
  6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

15 years ago most people didn't have cell phones yet. everyone still used house land line phones. i know i didn't have a cell phone 15 years ago. i didn't have a computer either. :laugh:

zlandman and Cam15 like this.
  7. Mumblingboutmowers

Mumblingboutmowers LawnSite Senior Member

And then there are some of us that are still stuck in the 1900s without cell phone use because they won't put up a tower anywhere close. Most of the areas I work I do not have cell reception.

zlandman, weeze and Cam15 like this.
  8. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i actually send texts to people when they say what time that i really don't know. i have 5 other yards to mow before yours but i should be there sometime in the afternoon if everything goes as planned. if it starts raining then i text back and say i'll try to get there tomorrow since it's raining today.

9. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

all you have to do is text them back and say you will come at a different time. anyone with common sense knows things can come up or change. it's just the nature of this business or any business for that matter.

hort101 and Cam15 like this.
  10. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

LOL!
    Once, I texted a customer to let them know I'd be over the next day because I got held up earlier.

"OMG, are you OK? That's fine. Do what you need to do, we'll be OK!"

SHE thought I was "held up" - as in robbed. LOL!!!