1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Thank you for all your advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ixlr8, Oct 20, 2008.

1. ixlr8

ixlr8 LawnSite Member

I have been looking for a mower to run instead of, in addition to, my 48" WB and I wanted to thank the folks here that took the time to give me their inputs. I appreciated the fact the thread didn't become a Chevy vs Ford popularity contest and that facts/examples were given to back up peoples comments. I had narrowed the choices, due to dealer availability/quality and input from folks here, to the Exmark, Walker and a used John Deere.
    The Exmark Super Z I demo'ed was very nice, I liked the smooth handling and cut. But the Exmark dealer didn't have a Navigator and was not interested in getting one in for demo. I was leaning towards a Walker/Navigator type mower.
    I couldn't get a demo out of the Walker dealer and they said that Walker didn't make a 52" GHS deck, that anything larger than a 48" deck was only available in a SD deck. :confused: I contacted Walker directly and I did finally get a response from the Walker regional rep. He said that Walker did have a 52" GHS deck and he would gladly arrange a demo... but by the time he got back with me, ~3weeks, I had already bought the John Deere.
    The JD is a 2005 727a with 260 hrs, the 54" 7-Iron deck (not the 7-Iron II :( ) and the previous owner added the comfort seat. There was a bit of vibration when the blades were engaged and I talked him down $500 from his asking price. Turns out one blade was a bit out of balance, okay it took over an hour of grinding and checking to get the balance in. I found out these are the original blades so new blades will be installed before the spring mowing season starts. I also found that the deck was not leveled properly. The rear tires were pressurized to 20 psi... maybe that is why he felt he needed the comfort seat. With sharpened/balanced blades, deck setup correctly, proper air pressure in the tires, I like how the machine rides and cuts. Although there is a little bit of uneven cut when mowing across a hill that I need to figure that out.
    The key to the JD purchase decision was cash flow. The JD was was close to 1/3 the money of the Walker or the Navigator and I could just write a check for it, I would need to finance either of the other two. Which in this economy, and the present size of my business, was important to me. If I can grow the business from the part time it is now to full time, which I hope to do with the JD. I will revisit the Walker/Navigator debate.
    In the mean time.. I need to learn to handle the JD. I find it more responsive than the Super Z and this is my first ZTR and I keep finding myself hitting things with the deck while trying to trim around them. :( On the other hand, SWMBO is an experienced ZTR operator and is having a blast mowing our yard with the JD. Actually I had trouble getting her off the machine so I could get some 'stick' time. :) She kept asking what else was there for her to mow... I think she was ready to start on the neighbors 10 acres!!
    Thank you again for all your input/comments.