Lawn Care Forum banner

Thank you guys so much for the advice

3K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  bigmudder77 
#1 ·
I went against the advice of my close contractor buddy when buying my truck. He's a Chevy Guy and I was lookin at an F-150. I wasn't really sure what to look for in a 1/2 ton and you guys helped. I bought my truck this weekend for 1500 bucks and I couldn't have done any better. I had to drive two and a half hours to get it and with all things considered pretty much burnt up a whole day before I got home. I am so glad I did. It runs like a beast and I feel so much better about buying it after hearing some of the input from guys who have had my truck or know a lot about it and by driving it myself. ('89 F-150 extended cap 4x4 with towing package and 1-ton helper springs) Once again guys thanks so much.:)

#2 ·
Personally I'm a Chevy guy, but you can never go wrong with a good ford, ford's are easy to fix and get parts for. There's always the brand wars but I have to say I would buy the ford you bought in a heartbeat. Throw a 7.5' Fisher on it and truck will pay off it's weight in gold....well maybe not gold but that green paper we're all after. Good Luck with your truck and I hope you have a very successful year.

#9 ·
Congrats on the truck! I hope the previous owner did great maintenance on it. I hope you have good luck with it. We had a bunch of ford trucks we bought new and they were all nightmares for us so we got rid of them and now run GM trucks exclusively with zero problems. I think we just got unlucky with our fords because others dont seem to have the problems we had.

#11 ·
Here's something I think most guys will agree with ...

Ford, Chevy, Dodge ... whatever ... we all love our trucks! I've had both Ford and Chevy, and I have loved them both. My son-in-law now has my '97 Chevy that I sold him when I got my '05 Ford F-350. The day I bought my Ford I thought really hard on the way home ... "I hope I'm not making a mistake". I L-O-V-E-D my Chevy. It is a Black, 4x4, extended cab ... and the kids called it "Old Blackie" (and they still do today when they see it). Of course ... now I love my Powerstroke!

When I was younger, it seemed that I always had to have a new car every couple of years ... but with the trucks (I've owned 5 over my lifetime) ... you find one you like and you feel like you want to keep it forever!

Good luck with your Ford F-150. You'll always remember this truck.

Men ... we love our trucks!

#13 ·
Good truck. My buddy has a 89 Bronco 302, 5spd. Change the oil and front and rear diff fluids (and if an additive needs to be put in for a limited slip do that) but I would just play the auto. trans by ear. I thought my S-10's (93 S-10 4.3 TBI Auto.) auto. was gonna go 2 years ago because third gear kinda shimmies, I dropped the trans oil pan, changed the filter and put in lucas trans. stuff and it still shifts like a champ today. Heck the truck even ran a 10.5 @ 65 mph in the 1/8th one night at the drag strip with a 2.2 60' time... :laugh: Beat a civic and a eclipse in the process.

#14 ·
im a jeep fan.... comanche's arnt heavy duty but i like em.... the inline 6 motors last for ever.... i want a comanche next after this cherokee.... my cherokee pulls heavy stuff just fine..... comanche's are just very hard to find :\

#15 ·
My old boss had 2 '89 F-150's that kicked butt for many years...they always ran better than the newer trucks. It's hard to go wrong for $1,500 unless it dies next week.

#16 ·
i am a dodge guy when it comes to a light work truck a ford guy when it comes to big dump trucks and not really a chevy guy for any thing (to many problims cost to much money to fix) i have a dodge 1500 its a good working truck for mid to light duty work i never had any problims with it. now ford i really like there dump trucks and there small rangers some of them. but i use to like chevy but after we had to replace the transmission and the engine in ours with only 120,000 that was a big pos to me. and i had a s-10 with 74,000 blew a rod and the engine was more than the truck was worth so no more chevys unless there free. but the ford you got should hold up pretty well. i am defently gonna buy another dodge or ford down the road but never again will i pay for a chevy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.