1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

That Roundup Stuff???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Toastpuppy, Jul 26, 2006.

  1. Toastpuppy

    Toastpuppy LawnSite Member
    Messages: 23

    Trying to find out what the stuff is that you put in the hand - pump - up sprayer things thats like round up to kill everything around the edge of the house, and planters and stuff like that.
    Can anyone help???
    What is it called, and where can i get it???

  2. KINGjosh

    KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 531

    Oh boy!:hammerhead: :dancing: ;)
  3. mjohnson1

    mjohnson1 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 76

    why not just roundup? but really theres a ton of different brands, total vegetation killer, scotts, brush-b-gone, etc, they can all be found at home depot, lowes, wal-mart, hardware stores, etc etc.
  4. ed2hess

    ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 14,450

    If you are interested in a safer product you can use Vinegar available in organic section of most garden centers.
  5. topsites

    topsites LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 21,653

    I think he means the chem, glyosphate or glyphosate or glysophate or something along those lines is what the active ingredient is called.
  6. nmez21

    nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 712

    The "stuff" you're referring to is a pesticide commonly called "round-up", because it's probably the most common brand. (I.E "bobcat" : skidsteer) It's usually available at any home store or even wally-world.

    If you are using it for personal use, at your own home, I'd definantly read the back of the jug umpteen times before you apply it anywhere, considering your level of experience with it.

    Are you planning on applying this to customer's properties? If so, you need a commercial pesticide applicator license, or you can get fined BIG TIME. Check these out: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=61624
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=154569. Hope this helps you out a bit.

    edt-double references, took page 5 min to load.
  7. lawnmaniac883

    lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,613

    Ohhh lordy lordy. First of all, RoundUp is an HERBICIDE!
  8. Team-Green L&L

    Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,775

    I guess they can try a pesticide on their weeds. Never tried it...heck it might even work! LOL
  9. nmez21

    nmez21 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 712

    Yes, my bad there, i should be referring myself to the "read and not post" discussion now.:hammerhead: The blind leading the blind.:waving:

    I'm sure as heck not a licensed applicator myself but from what I had read I understood the following:States license companies and individuals for application of pesticides for hire. Anything used to control a pest is subject to licensing. PEST (relating to the landscape) = any undesirable plant, insect, disease, animal, or other condition. PESTICIDE = any chemical (natural or synthetic) used to control a pest.

    Round-up does control(kill) plants, correct?

    I took this off of a sticky in the pesicide section of the forum.
  10. Team-Green L&L

    Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,775

    In a relaxed sense, you're correct in this thinking...but only when your de-weeding and landscaping. In chemicals, the terms are very specific:

    A pest is a living creature or organism that negatively affects the growth of plant life. Ie: insects, rodents, ect.

    An herbicide is specifically developed to kill plant life itself.

    Both need an applicators license to apply.

Share This Page