1. Maintaining Company Culture During Stressful Times

How do you maintain a positive company culture during a time of social distancing, economic uncertainty, and health worries? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Thatch

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Dustin Rowray, Jun 26, 2020.

1. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Dustin,
    One more thing--disagreeing with myself. Perennial ryegrass germinates fast and strong--in an overseeding situation--it probably takes hold better than Kentucky bluegrass. Mow short--rake it in.
    Try to sow the seed about the week August temperatures fall below 85.
    I would still be concerned about dollarspot fungus in perennial ryegrass. If the sales information does not say, "resistant to dollarspot" consider it susceptible. At a minimum--ask for a seed that claims "disease resistant"--vague--but better than nothing.
    https://www.sroseed.com/find-a-product/perennial-ryegrass

One cannot usually buy individual seed types. You will usually have to buy mixtures the seed companies blend special for their regional warehouse customers.

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I am not sure others here will agree with me--however--I think that the close-up picture shows ryegrass. You have lots of ryegrass already.
    Also--take care in warm humid weather--that you do not mow when wet. The dollarspot fungus invades the newly cut leaf blade and works its way down the leaf.

3. OP
    OP
    Dustin Rowray

Dustin Rowray LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Very Well Could. Probably about every weed and every grass in this yard. Lol. I have sprayed for weeds a few times over the past few years but haven't tried to identify the types of grasses. I have been reading and trying to learn about the different types of grasses. Seems the the Ryegrass might be a little higher maintenace?

Looks like Iowa State suggest a ryegrass, kbg combo.
    https://store.extension.iastate.edu...tucky bluegrass is,adapted grass for lawn use.

Thanks for all your help!