1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

thatching?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mdb landscaping, Feb 19, 2001.

1. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i have a new jrco thatcher im waiting to break in this spring that goes on my scag 48 inch walk behind. i am planning on thatching and picking it up with my grass gobbler. do i really need to bag while thatching? or can i just cut over it and let the blades chew the dead grass up?

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have a 60" JRco for my Choppers. What I do is go over it one time with the OCDC closed and mulch it up big time while dethatching. I then go over it at an opposite direction and dethatch that direction while leaving the OCDC open and this really spreads the chopped up thatch. I do this about 1 or 2 weeks before we start mowing.

I would pick up some extra tines for it. I break several each season.

3. mdb landscaping

thanks for the tip eric. thats what i was wondering. a lot of guys bag the clippings around here, but i was wondering if anyone like you was shredding the clippings. thanks for the response.

4. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

so how does that jerco attachment compare to a power-rake? i can't believe it would be as good.what do you think?

5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Its not as thoural as a power rake but its 5 times faster because it is wider. The flater the ground the better it works.

Gene

6. Mike Paulsen

Mike Paulsen LawnSite Member
    from Idaho

I always mark the sprinkler heads when i power rake so i don't hit one, do you have to mark them when using the tine thatcher or don't they dig that deep?

7. mdb landscaping

the force that the tines put down wont really affect sprinker heads. the power rakes continuously spin with the metal, and that does more damage i think. im not planning on marking them.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

When I "dethatch" with the JRCO, I go over it twice in different directions for more thorough results, and charge regular dethatching rates. Otherwise, I just charge for a rakeover of all the turf areas. (which is a bit more than half the dethating rate.) I love it for spring cleanups though! It get that grass standing up and breathing earlier and faster!