1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

The #1 thing you should do on estimates. Increases "high rate" acceptance.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by AL's, Sep 16, 2017.

1. AL's

AL's LawnSite Senior Member

Wear a collared shirt.

If your wearing dingy tshirts that youve mowed in all day to do the estimate good luck getting $50 for 6k sq ft. You dont look the part.

Yes you look like you work hard. But I think the general public sees landscaping guys as dirty, wayward people who are uneducated and hard work is their only redeeming quality.

People judge at first glance. Its human nature. Sales is all about psychology. First impressions MATTER!

Wear a collared shirt.

And brush your teeth.

payuppayuppayup

2. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

Never had a problem being dirty. Most of my business came from people walking up to me while I was out working.
    That said, if it's a planned estimate then I put on my finest best blue jeans, polish up my boots, press my shirt, shower with pearl soap, comb my hair and put on my finest watch and chain.......who the heck am I kidding, I never did that lol.

Enjoi829, kemco, Jay84 and 3 others like this.
  3. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Missouri

I'm on the same page as Crystal.

It's mowing lawns. It's not a $20,000 paver patio.

I've met people in my sweaty shirt on 100 degree days.....after forgetting to put my partials in ( lost my eye teeth during an incident in Iraq) .... got the jobs.....

People aren't as judgemental as some think..... It seems people are more judgemental about people being judgemental than they actually are.......

If you're not getting $50 for a 6000 sq foot lawn......it's not because of a collared shirt....it's because the market isn't bearing the price.....but that's another thread.

4. AL's

Lol I hear ya. And Ive gotten plenty of business while covered in grass as well....

But Ive always gotten less resistance and a higher price when I come looking like a straight up sales rep.

stringfellohawk likes this.
  5. Grassholes

Grassholes LawnSite Senior Member

I agree that presentation counts. When the customer is coming to you they don't care what you look like because they want something from you. If you are going to them it is a different story. In that situation you are a salesman and should dress the part. Good post.

6. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

So according to another thread the truck you drive should "not be fancy" and now you need to wear a collared shirt while driving a junk truck to give estimates. Makes great sense to me.

7. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Florida

I'm so confused. I drive a 2012 Tundra (fancy by some peoples' accounts) and generally don't wear collared shirts; just my business dry weave tee shirts. Now what do I do? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

People in my area don't seem to care what your appearance is. I've done estimates unshaven for days and after working all day and smelling like a water buffalo who just swam through a waste treatment plant and I've done estimates on a Saturday morning, showered, shaved, and in a collared shirt. I've never been told I got the job, or didn't get the job, based on my appearance. They only care about price, if you do a good job, price, referrals, price, if you show up regularly, and price.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  8. stringfellohawk

stringfellohawk LawnSite Senior Member

You have to play your audience. The guy who runs his own construction outfit but has no time to work on his own place in order to keep the wife happy probably won't care and may appreciate to see another working man/woman. The typical white-collar sheep would rather have you look and smell similar to their own kind. Personality and charisma go a long way. There are certain jobs I will take certain people to for estimates/proposals and certain jobs I wont take them to.

Some things I've learned:
    • Dress the part/look squared away. Make sure you're vehicles fall under the same rule. Save the rolling wreckage for when you land the job. I have landed some jobs in work clothes and have not landed others in collared shirts.
    • Know exactly what you're talking about.
    • Be personable and elicit some form of common ground(at minimum, pet their dog).
    • Never respond to a hair-brained question about a much more extensive scope of work that will have an elevated price with, "Ohhh, that'll be expensive." and never flinch when a customer says, "Oh man! That's a lot!" Of course it's a lot to them, they have no idea what anything costs.

9. AL's

Taking things out of context I see.....

And since when does NOT FANCY equal JUNK.....

You make a lot of sense.

10. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Technically
    A collar could be a polo or a dickies
    Didn't say the collar had to be shite button down

I kinda prefer the "chip foose" look

RussellB likes this.