1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

The Arborvitae I Killed

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by kemco, Nov 8, 2019.

1. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

Here's a pic about 10 days after I get a call that all their Thuja occ. were turning brown right after I sprayed them and we're dying. I just did a dormant oil spray on every shrub they had. I remember seeing a lot of needle cast being thrown around by the force of my mister blower. Again, remember I've pretty much killed these. We did get a 22 degree drop in temps 36 hrs after the spray but not freezing. There's nothing wrong with these. These have virtually no direct sunlight at all FWIW.

IMG_20191108_121224.jpg

2. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Bronze Member

Why do you spray them? Just curious, occasionally they get spider mites here. The deer love them and prune them to look like a sexual organ.

hort101 likes this.
  3. Idlewild

Idlewild LawnSite Member

The seasonal needle drop is a common occurrence with these and most similar evergreens,
    Cryptomeria, Leylands,Pines, etc... There’s plenty of literature available out there for
    explanation for your clients reassurance. Preferably Arboretum or .edu sources.

hort101 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

Dormant oil, High Yield brand, a paraffinic based oil. Ive used it for years now never had any problem with it. 3 tbs per gallon. I believe I put 3 gallons on all of the woody ornamentals. They have more shrubs multiple loropetalum, boxwoods, yew etc in the front and front side yard. Sprayed same day out of the same tank, all look fine. That was sarcasm when I said "I killed these"... that's pretty much what the homeowners said LOL. I was fully expecting to go over there and see 8 of those 20 ft tall Arborvitae dead from how they were reacting. Couldn't imagine how that could have happened and thankfully did not.

sjessen and hort101 like this.
  5. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto! This is NOT a burn from an oil spray, but just a natural autumn cycle of fall inner needle drop.
    Evergreens are not truly "evergreen", because they do shed their innermost foliage every fall.

View this link for info...
    www.awaytogarden.com/when-inner-conifer-needles-turn-yellow-or-brown/

6. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

Be very careful about applying Hort Oil to Cryptomeria and some other plants.
    https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/using_horticultural_oils_on_landscape_plants

hort101 likes this.
  7. Trees Too

Trees Too LawnSite Fanatic

I found this out the hard way years ago with "Omni Supreme Oil".

P.S. If there ever is an incident of "oil burn" the outer foliage will turn brown.
    Not the inner foliage turning orangeish-yellow.

hort101 likes this.