Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With this tool, you had better generate a minimum of $35 a man hour. It is so inexpensive for what amount of income it will generate.

Also I am showing off one of my new tools.

Automotive tire Saw chain Gas Machine Racing

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
With this I charge by the hour, my hourly price is irrelevant and is more than the $35 I posted above, but this tool will do it.

I am pretty good at estimating time, but trimming shrubs is another that always takes longer than expected, so I charge by the man hour with a 1 hour minimum.

If you can't get or make atleast $35 a man hour with these you are doing something wrong.

I hope this answers the 4 other thread I saw before posting this which I will post a link in of this thread.

Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Racing Motorsport

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
Nice saw. Another true asset is the Stihl with the extended handle (like a string trimmer). Talk about a WORK saver! No bending down for the small globes, and no full arm and shoulder strokes for taller hedges. Simple smaller pivots. While it takes some getting used to, as it can be touchy at first (one little "twitch" of the wrist or arm can equal 3 or 4 inches at the blade), It is so nice to have for so many things. It's now the first thing I grab, and only use my hand held in tight spots like against walls in certain predicaments and in corners occasionally.;)

·
Registered
344 Posts
i completely agree...my hedge trimmer has made me around 800-1000 bucks since i got it and i have only worked about 10-12hrs...always fluff a little on the estimate simply due to the clean up aspect...i have a minimum of 30-35 as long as i don't have to get on a ladder...if i have to get on a ladder, even if it is for one plant, is going to be min of 45-50 depending on how difficult the terrain is....

what is even better is when someone else is doing the work and you are getting around 35hr for not breaking a sweat...oftentimes when i have some hedges to do i will cut the grass and have someone else do the hedges and we wrap up at the same time...double the money at one stop...

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
yep LGF...I'm clearing that much AFTER I pay the employee. Trimming is one of my least favorite tasks. And as you guys noted, cleanup usually takes longer than the trimming so I will not give a hard quote ....instead I give them a man/machine houre rate. I do need to get one of those extended shears Runner is talking about. I dont like leaning too far on a ladder since about 10 years ago I almost cut a finger off with a gas powered unit....ever since I treat this machine with complete respect ...they can bite you real fast

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have the red max extended reach. The blades are the best I have tried, much better than the echo hand held I also own. both are huge money makers. I wish I had a small shedder to reduce the clipping sometimes.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Do you mean at least $35 per man hour for labor only???? We like to get that plus, plus $25.00 per hour for equipment. Someone has to pay for it.

If you cut hedges for 2 hours, you like to get at least $70.00??

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
so ken, you are charging $60 an hour for a man running trimmers? thats alot of money. so, if u have 2 guys trimming, u charge $120 an hour? and i imagine a disposal fee also? even in my area, where prices are high, we cant get that. an 8 hr trim job with 2 guys brings in $960? plus disposal? now thats makin money

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Originally posted by KenH
Do you mean at least $35 per man hour for labor only???? We like to get that plus, plus $25.00 per hour for equipment. Someone has to pay for it.

If you cut hedges for 2 hours, you like to get at least $70.00??
Ditto...

Sounds like Bobby has finally been overbid. Just don't try to overbid his lawn applications. ;)

·
Former Moderator
6,065 Posts
I don't normally comment on pricing to each his own, but for the solo operator $35.00 to $45.00 an hour for hedge trimming is just not enough. I just don't get how anyone could be satisfied making 70 bucks for two hours of hard labor.

Where we stand, mulching and hedges are more strenuous work compared to mowing. So we charge accordingly for it.
I know a lot of prices are thrown around here, and sometimes it's a testosterone thing, but there's no testosterone coming out of this post.

An example: Yesterday Matt dropped me off at 2:00PM. He was going to do some hedge trimming for a one time customer.
Customer owns a 100 acre farm, but he also has a second home that needed some trimming. Yearly hedge maintenance is not something this customer practices.

Anyway, it took Matt 1 hour and 47 minutes. Plus drive time less than 5 minutes each way. Round up to 2 hours. No way Matt was going to charge $35.00 an hour.
Matt charged $150.00 plus $25.00 dump
This customer wanted the trimming done in two stages which this was the second part. The first part Matt charged $160.00 plus dump. So the whole job was $310.00 plus two dump charges.
4 hours and 15 minutes on job and including the drive time. (not much drive time really at all.) Then the dumps which we got another $50.00 for, but remember there was more time chewed up there having to dump.

Matt had to wear long sleeves because he wasn't sure if there was any type of poison intermixed with the shrubs. That there alone is reason enough to make sure you make some decent money on the job.
How we learned our lesson when we first started in business, charging too little and then still ending up with poison ivy, etc! Well no more.

Now the $35.00 an hour figure may work if there a crew on the job. 3 men for a two hour job. $210.00 for the job plus the dump, pay the employees, it may work out ok. Don't deal with employees so where I stand I can't comment on how much to charge.
But for one guy doing it, 35 bucks/hour just aint enough for us to touch it.

Same with mulching. But that's another thread. I won't say how much we get for a yard installed because I doubt we would be believed.
When you are a solo operator doing all the work yourself, make sure you are getting paid decent for it.

I know some prefer mowing, others prefer mulching and hedge work. We prefer the mowing, much easier.
The other is more labor intensive so we charge decent for it.

Well seems like the rain is stopping, better head out. Later.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have the echo power unit with the articulating trimmer attachment. My ? is what advantages would that small trimmer have over what I have. I have never used anything except what I have. I don't understand why you would buy that small hedge trimmer if you already have a good hedge trimmer.(LGF)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Ajays-
Some of the more "technical" bushes that require more precision are harder to perfect when the blade is 4 ft away from the control. As was mentioned either in this forum or a similar one if you move the control just a little bit it can result in a couple inches change on the other end. Also for smaller bushes a lot of times its easier to work with a smaller hedge trimmer. each piece of equipment has its place- as do both the regular and extended reach hedge trimmers.

-Coop

·
Registered
326 Posts
Originally posted by Cooper Landscaping
Ajays-
Some of the more "technical" bushes that require more precision are harder to perfect when the blade is 4 ft away from the control. As was mentioned either in this forum or a similar one if you move the control just a little bit it can result in a couple inches change on the other end. Also for smaller bushes a lot of times its easier to work with a smaller hedge trimmer. each piece of equipment has its place- as do both the regular and extended reach hedge trimmers.

-Coop
I would agree with Cooper and also ask; is it just me or do any of you think that the more traditional (not extended) hedge trimmers are more productive? This has been my experience so far using Echos only. The extended one has its place but doesn't seem to have the power of the regular trimmer. Anyone else find this to be true? Even with the exhaust in you face, for most hedging I prefer one like LDF pictured above, get it done in a hurry.

·
Registered
214 Posts
UGA-
It depends on what you're doing. If you're trimming bushes that can easily be reached standing on the ground, then yes it would be more productive. But if you're trimming a bush thats 10' high where you would have to use a ladder and keep going up and down and up and down and move it each time, then the extended reach ones would be more productive. As i said before each has its place. The ideal set up would one of each in my opinion.

-Coop

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
QUOTE]Originally posted by Ajays
I have the echo power unit with the articulating trimmer attachment. My ? is what advantages would that small trimmer have over what I have. I have never used anything except what I have. I don't understand why you would buy that small hedge trimmer if you already have a good hedge trimmer.(LGF) [/QUOTE]

IMO, I just don't think there's and need for a chainsaw style anyone . Actually, from using various trimming units for the past 20 years, Mike's setup is OK, but the "mid size" trimmers, can do everything the chainsaw, without the effort and smoke in your face. However, the "long shaft" trimmers are "too long" for many job, and impractical for smaller shrubs.
OK, so if money is a problem you buy a mid shaft machine and if money is not a problem, you buy a mid shaft and long shaft, but IMO opinion you don't want a chainsaw type (sorry Mike). As a disclaimer, this setup works for me, and I can gladly supply informations, pictures and test situation that will varify my findings. Below, the midsize machine can all the trimming and the operator doesn't have to bend over or down at all.

Plant Window Green Grass Groundcover

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Originally posted by Cooper Landscaping
As i said before each has its place. The ideal set up would one of each in my opinion.

-Coop
This is what we have. Someone mentioned a power loss with the extended reach trimmers, my Echo extended doesn't seem to have any power loss compared to the small Echo hedge trimmer. The Echo extended we have is not an articulating one, so I don't know about those. I have found very few jobs where the articulated hedge trimmer would have worked so much better to justify its' extra cost and weight.

When we do jobs by the hour, we include the time needed to go to the dump, or anywhere else relating to the job. Any fees, such as dump fees (my town charges $5-10 for a truckload of brush/trimmings hauled by a business at the "brush dump", I don't have property where I can dump), are added to the bill. When and if you "charge by the hour", make sure you include all the time actually spent working related to the job, not just the time actually at the property.

·
Banned
10,160 Posts
hourly is the only way we charge for trimming. i think it works out great, the little extras make it worth while. example: we got a call for trimming, it had to be done "right away". i told the customer i could split it between 2 days, and get it done by today, so here is how it worked out. myself and one man trimmed and weeded for 5 hrs at $75 per hr. we then charged $50 to spray the beds(a 10 min job, and $2 worth of product), and $75 for disposal(i now have access to a free dump site). thats $500 for roughly 6 hrs worth of work. now mind you, it doesnt work out well on very small jobs, but those are much easier to estimate. and good idea wearing long sleaves, im now scratching like crazy, arms, and forhead got it.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Originally posted by bobbygedd
so ken, you are charging $60 an hour for a man running trimmers? thats alot of money. so, if u have 2 guys trimming, u charge $120 an hour? and i imagine a disposal fee also? even in my area, where prices are high, we cant get that. an 8 hr trim job with 2 guys brings in $960? plus disposal? now thats makin money
When you think about it, it really isnt that much. $35.00 per man hour is not alot after you take out insurance, taxes, etc. And $25.00 per hour for equip. covers wear/tear, and gas.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The $35 was to get you all started, I don't charge that.

But some of you commented on you charge more an hour to trim shrubs with a $300 hedge trimmer than you do to bring a $10,000 lawnmower to do.

The thread was about hedge trimmers are so inexpensive and you can generate so much income with them.

I have 3 of those pictured above plus 1 Echo mid length shaft like Pete posted and the FS85 pictured. My next one will be the 12'+ extended reach ones here real soon.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.