The best 60 minutes of my time

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
I just got off the phone with Google.

I have NEVER experienced such a helpful, informative, call with a large corporation as I just did with Google. The rep took 100% ownership of the purpose of my call and she was enthusiastic, 150% knowledgeable, and it was as if I was talking to my aunt. I called with a simple question about my billing, expecting to be on the phone for 3 minutes, one thing lead to another, then another. The rep was not in any hurry at all to get off the phone with me, it was as if she came into work today specifically to help ME.

Excellent excellent excellent excellent excellent customer service. I'm forever sold.

Last edited:

TomG

LawnSite Senior Member
Wow that's interesting, never would have thought that from such a huge company. I have had to contact YouTube (Google owns YouTube) before and it probably took me an hour just to find an email address to contact them. And never mind finding a phone number...

I'm just curious, I know you said you called about your bill... Do you use Google Adwords? If so how is it working for you?

OP
DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
A few years ago NBC News did a report about employment at Google's Headquarters in CA. Unreal work environment! People bring their dogs to work, they have a gym, a cafeteria like no other, they can wear whatever they want to wear, the report showed employees folding their laundry while at work, the list goes on and on.

White Gardens

LawnSite Fanatic
A few years ago NBC News did a report about employment at Google's Headquarters in CA. Unreal work environment! People bring their dogs to work, they have a gym, a cafeteria like no other, they can wear whatever they want to wear, the report showed employees folding their laundry while at work, the list goes on and on.
Ultimately it just goes to show how the bottom line isn't the driving force of the business and how it is conducted.

OP
DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
Wow that's interesting, never would have thought that from such a huge company. I have had to contact YouTube (Google owns YouTube) before and it probably took me an hour just to find an email address to contact them. And never mind finding a phone number...

I'm just curious, I know you said you called about your bill... Do you use Google Adwords? If so how is it working for you?
Well, the only advertising I do is online. So, a majority of my sales originate from the net. I honestly have no idea how my Google campaign is working out because no one says "I found your sponsored ad". Know what I mean? Tweaking will take place next week.

This lady gave me so much information, I still can't get over it.

Last edited:

TomG

LawnSite Senior Member
Well, the only advertising I do is online. So, a majority of my sales originate from the net. I honestly have no idea who my Google campaign is working out because no one says "I found your sponsored ad". Know what I mean?

This lady gave me so much information, I still can't get over it.

Yea I get ya. I know a few people who have gone the same route, and they have mixed opinions. They told me the same thing you just did, its hard to know if it really works. And one said it can get quite expensive if you pay per-click. He said one month he had a huge spike in clicks but not in actual contacts. For all he knew some kid was just clicking his link over and over.

OP
DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
Yea I get ya. I know a few people who have gone the same route, and they have mixed opinions. They told me the same thing you just did, its hard to know if it really works. And one said it can get quite expensive if you pay per-click. He said one month he had a huge spike in clicks but not in actual contacts. For all he knew some kid was just clicking his link over and over.

Google's system actually tracks IP addresses (they don't share this info with us) and they discredit multiple clicks from the same computer. So if I wanted to sit and click away on my competitors ad, I'm only fooling myself and wasting my time. I know this because about a year ago I called Google and inquired on this. It's nearly impossible for that to happen. Same thing with Craigslist ads. On craigslist you can "Flag" ads. But Craiglist's system will discredit multiple "flags" from the same computer.

And I have a good hunch why the people you know may have experienced a spike in clicks and no actual contacts. Because I experienced that. This is where I must draw the line, and won't comment publically.

bigviclbi

LawnSite Senior Member
If you use google analytics, you will know which town/city your hits come from using adwords, organic searches, lawnsite.com referrals, etc. Thats how you can tell if its working, unless of course you only cover one city. In the past couple of weeks I have added a facebook ads page, way more hits than my google account but zero action so far. Probably because it is much less specific than the adwords since they are searching for something related and facebook ads just gives you an area and age demographic to work with.