1. Free Webinar: Why the Growth of Propane Deserves Your Attention
    Date: Thursday, April 25th
    Time: 11:00am EST
    Find out how switching to propane can save your company time and money. Click here to register
    Dismiss Notice

The Best Mini Skid

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by LMartin, Apr 12, 2019.

1. LMartin

LMartin LawnSite Member

Hello, I operate a fledgling rental company to occupy my evenings and weekends and am thinking of adding a mini skid to my fleet. I'm looking for input on which one landscapers like to rent as that is the customer base I will be targeting. I lean towards Bobcat because I have a good relationship with a local dealer that gives me good support. But I'm not stuck on that would like some input! Thanks!

2. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Member

I've run them all. I think you should only be considering Bobcat Toro or Ditch Witch. If Bobcat is your trusted dealer then go with them. I find the controls easier to run on the Toro and Ditchwitch. Its been awhile since I've run a boxer or ramrod and the machines they were making 15 or 20 years ago were kinda problematic.

3. OP
    OP
    LMartin

LMartin LawnSite Member

Thanks! Those are the 3 I've been looking at. It seems like a lot of people like the controls of the Toro, but I've read a lot of complaints of issues on them....

4. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Member

The place I rent from sells both Toro and Bobcat, for rentals they mostly use Toro. They always have less than a hundred hours on them. The cost is $200 a day. I would rent one 5 or 6 times a season when I was strictly doing hardscapes. The owner of the Ditchwitch dealership told me they were really only a machine that would last a thousand hours. That didn't seem right to me and I'll bet there are guys here that get more life from their DW's

5. Cjames808

Cjames808 LawnSite Member

Toro recently acquired DitchWitch. I heard they are going to make them red right away and market as different chassis until they fully merge.
    Toro boss exmark ditchwitch snorator inc

I’d go with the nicest Vermeer you can find. The integrated platforms are the safest. The price seems very reasonable compared to the dingos.

Check out

6. Sti2.5ldohc

Sti2.5ldohc LawnSite Member

Where did you hear that? From that video of the toro executives they were saying they weren’t going to do that. At least for awhile.

7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Ultimately as a rental outfit you do your own maintenance and repair, so dealer support shouldn’t be a thing.

Bobcat will put up with the most abuse from rentals
    Toro has the best assortment of attachments and the best user friendly operation for novices.
    Toro will get rented out more

I would choose toro dingo to rent
    Bobcats are more intimidating to people who aren’t professionals

8. OP
    OP
    LMartin

LMartin LawnSite Member

All very good advice! Thanks! Keep it coming!

9. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

I ran a newer toro diesel last season before the frost, I liked it. And the bucket lifted higher than the last toro version the place rented to me

hort101 and Walker56 like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    LMartin

LMartin LawnSite Member

Also curious which attachments you think are most worthwhile?