1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

The Best, The Cheapest, MTD?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Howie's Lawn Care, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Are there actually any MTDs out there that mulch really well. If my Toro Recycler goes out, I want a cheap replacement until next season. Does Wal-Mart, Lowes, TSC, or aanyone else actually have a cheap mower that mulches like a champ. I know most of you have never even owned and MTD, but some people have them just starting out. Thanks for any tips.

2. green-go

green-go LawnSite Member

You want a good mower for cheap? Buy a used one. Something like an older Toro Super Recycler, a Snapper, or a Lawnboy. I've come across several good Toros and Lawnboys for $50 or less. Two Toros that had hardly any wear on them, just had old fuel in the carbs so they wouldn't start.

3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

About three years ago we purchased a Yardman (by MTD) from either BJ's or Costco...one of those wholesale warehouse companies. It is a little 21 push mower that came with that mulching baffle where the grass would normally be collected into the bagger. It is light (in a bind one man could lift into the back of a pickup), cuts well, easy to maintain, and best of all I think it was less than 200 bucks. Granted, we only use it twice a week for about an hour each time so its not seeing 20 hour weeks on the engine. But it is a great little machine. Even if it dyed tomorrow I wouldn't be upset. Id run out and get another.

4. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Yep I've had one too. It had a 6 and a half horse tecumseh and ran great. The only probelm after 2 years of some heavy use the wheel bracket wouldn't hold the wheel in and I didn't have time to get a new one so I kept the engine and threw away the deck.

Check out home depot. they have one with a 6.5 hp briggs and 3 in 1. It is around 200. I'm probably getting one to replace a murray I have.