Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was thinking of getting two scags a 32 for the gates and a 36.the reason i choose scag is because every1 use them in my neighborhood and the scag dealer is in my town.i seen some ,toros,exmark,lescos ect around but mostly scag is scag the best in longisland most propertys around here are somewere around 100by100 or larger .wut would u recomend for me to start with .thanxs again 4 all yur help

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
First, you probably would be better off buying a 32" and a 48-52". Plus a 36" fits through most gates. As far as Scag being best....not in my opinion. They were quite popular here too. My 48" Scag, the loaner 48" Scag and replacement 48" Scag all were substandard and overpriced.

But you should demo a few and make your own decision.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im definately gona demo them but whitch walkbehind in your opinion gives the best looking cut.yeah definately go with a 32 and a 48 good idea .48 for the front and houses with out gates and 32 with gates .

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Well I like the BobCats and the Exmarks. The Toro ain't bad either. But my opinion is not as valuable as someone else in your area. Afterall you aren't cutting St. Augustine and Bahia :)

Make sure you demo a 52 when demoing a 48. That is a whole different machine. The 4" larger deck is very deceiving. It is a much bigger machine and tends to not "bounce" around like a light weight 48.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I purchased a snapper 52in and love it the only down fall was i used it on 3 acre places before i got my z and it started to give me carpals tunnel, my hands turned numb, other than that it is a really good machine. Get a walkbehind with Kaw instead of a Kohler!

Levi Duncan
Lone Tree Lawn Care

·
Banned
3,485 Posts
I would not even consider any mower with the "squeeze" or "grip" type handles. Toro and Great Dane have the best handles that I have tried, I did not like the T-Bar system on the Toro and was very impressed with the Great Dane Scamper's system.

It has push-forward, pull-backwards controls, and is very simple to use, best of all no carpal tunnel problems! It even has an adjustable max speed bar (the solid black bar in the photo) that allows you to control how fast it will go when the bar is pushed all the way forward. :)

Ray

·
Registered
723 Posts
I have scags, but my best walkbehind is my snapper 52 16hp vangard with sulky, 6yrs and only replaced 1 belt-- and there like tanks i run mine in very rought yds-- so my vote is the Snapper with Loop Steering Marks Mowing Service.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'd look at the Gateway by GreatDane. They are a 52' unit that folds to a 36" for clearing gates. I don't own one so all I can say is chek one out for yourself. I have 4 Bobcat walkbehinds, 2 36" & 2 48" with pistol grip controls and they kill my hands. The rest of the machines design is great, strong structure and reliable. However, I wouldn't by another pistol grip mower.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks grassman yea alot of people on the forum say grips hurt there hands i went down to the scag dealer in my neighborhood i saw the toro with the tbar setup that looks very nice .i want to go with a hydrowith a floating deck i guess i should paymore now save later huh

·
Registered
193 Posts
You should probably go out and measure most of your gates. If you don't need a 32 don't get one. We run a 32 exmark and it will be for sale before next season, we just don't need it and it isn't half the machine our 36 is. Our 36 fits through every gate we have, some are very tight but it is possible. As far as brand goes I would try some out for yourself, everyone has a preference. Don't limit yourself to t bars. I think that everyone who says that pistol grips wear out your arms have been sitting on their lazers for too long.
In my opinion most of the companies have done enough testing to the point that no new mower will cut a huge amount better than another.
In my opinion Exmark or Bobcat have very nice overall machines.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I can't believe no one has piped in about the Hustler walk-behind. I've tried the Pistol grips and the T-bar, and neither come close to the ease of use of the H-bar system that the Hustler employs. And the learning curve is short - I felt proficient after about 5 minutes. My helpers and I love it! The decks are tough, the stance is superior, the warranty is good. And the price was relatively low. Do you have a dealer in your area?

·
Registered
675 Posts
BOOZOO,

Is that Hustler like a motorcycle? Wrist forward to go forward, wrist back to go back. If that is correct, does that get to your wrists after a long day?

I can see the Hustler turning part being simple, it is just like a T-bar which is just like a steering wheel, which is why T-bar is easier to learn that grips.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I can't tell you how scag does compaired to other brands,becouse I have never owned any other brands!But I can tell you that I love our scag walkbehind.It is a 36'' dual hydro.It also has a bagger,44'' sweeper and a 44'' blade.It is a 14hp and has awsome power!!!No repairs to date!I know that exmark is better if you plan to multch.Our 36 gets through most gates,but there are allways a few you can not get through.It is a great small lawn machine,and the cut is the best I have ever seen!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.