1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

The blade dropped II??!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC, Jul 25, 2004.

1. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys, I dont know if you remember or even looked at my 1st thread on this. Anyway, I had an old JD WB. The blade dropped 1/2". Turned out to be the spindle. As I hoped, I thought I could just replace the bearings, but the dealer said if the whole inside unit dropped, your gonna need a whole new spindle. So I just bought 2 because the bearings in the other one was in pieces. It was a bear getting them off, so I dont want to go through it again. I will post some pics

2. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

Here is a pic of the old spindles. Notice how the one's shaft is lower then the other?

3. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

I'll have to try that again

4. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

The picture one more time.

scan0023.jpg

5. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

Same Pic only bigger. Sorry guys this is the first time posting pictures so bare with me.

scan0023.jpg

6. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

Another picture.

scan0024.jpg

7. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

Here's a pic of the new spindle and the two old spindles.

scan0022.jpg

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

WAIT a minute! How old is your JD wb? I have one that is one of the old Bunton machines that they used (had two). My spindles have the same thing. With mine, all it was, was a snapring that would come loose, and allow the spindle to slide down. You could push up on the bottom, and there would be a little play in there. From rattling, this would eventually slide farther and even push the pulley up on the shaft. I just cleaned out the snapring groove by running a hacksaw around it, replaced the snapring, and it was just fine. Is this what yours was doing?