• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

The current state of hiring? Post-COVID

Ijustwantausername

LawnSite Silver Member
Well as per the usual its 1 step forward and 2 steps back. Just got back from a family vacation yesterday to learn that one of my guys left today with his family to go to Oklahoma for a pig farm job. No notice and very unexpected. Apparently the moving truck was already packed because I couldn't budge him with more pay.

So as per the usual I jump on all of my hiring avenues and start posting and texting away. I hear crickets its been so quiet when normally I receive 5-8 inquiries instantly, if not more. I have 1 or 2 guys in my back pocket from some mid summer interest and only 1 has responded.

Something told me to keep a perpetual hiring ad running a few weeks ago, I guess I learned my lesson.

Since my last hire was pre-COVID I am wondering how much the dynamic has changed now? What are you seeing? What has worked for you?

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Dude
We have been hiring constantly year round since at least 5 years ago

With that being said
1) there are no employees to be had
2) lots of management treating employees like garbage

If you have a way to pay someone year round and top dollar ($18 plus) then you could likely cherry pick a guy

But if you’re looking for affordable work zombie for seasonal labor?

Fugetabowit

grassmasterswilson

LawnSite Fanatic
You can post on indeed for free. I think boosting on Facebook might be a great deal since you can target your area. Maybe check with nc state turf grass dept remote learning may be good for interns?

my grandfather was a farmer and he always had an extra guy that he didn’t need. I’m thinking that route is a really good one. Adjust prices and have an extra guy.

I get tired of wearing so many hats. I love what I do but often the stress get me. Especially at the end of the season when I’m swamped with seeding and fall pre.

BrandonV

LawnSite Fanatic
I know lots of us like ”being our own boss” but I wonder (I grew up in this so I’ve never worked for anyone) would it not be better for some of you guys that have great work ethic and knowledge to be a lead guy for a bigger operation? im just curious. Don’t give up your dream if that’s what you want but the stress can be overwhelming. If I hadnt been sucked in to the family business with people I grew up working with and feel a responsibility towards I think I’d had chosen a much easier path.

Mark Stark

LawnSite Fanatic
Dude
We have been hiring constantly year round since at least 5 years ago

With that being said
1) there are no employees to be had
2) lots of management treating employees like garbage

If you have a way to pay someone year round and top dollar ($18 plus) then you could likely cherry pick a guy

But if you’re looking for affordable work zombie for seasonal labor?

Fugetabowit
Exactly our problem! Advertising $18 to start and it's been been need impossible still.