1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

The economics of wire?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by NightLightingFX, Aug 29, 2007.

1. NightLightingFX

NightLightingFX LawnSite Senior Member

I am curious do any of you have a good system on managing the use of your wire. What do you do with your scraps? Any way to avoid scrapes? I always make sure I have a little more wire on home run that I accually need, but the scraps add up. Do you guys use the scraps for leads on future fixture installations? Right now all I ever use for home runs is 12 ga. and I will use 16 ga for leads that I need to add on fixtures that don't come with long leads. Some times I will use 12 ga. on a lead for a fixture if I am a long way a way from my hub. What do you guys do?
    ~Ned
    www.nightlightingfx.com

2. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Same as you. Occasionally I will run a 10ga home run but its mostly 12. Since I am still a one man show I can throw in any left over 12 ga. and use it if possible. When using hub method with short line fixtures I add on with 16 or 18 ga wire using a waterproof end to end splice thats crimped then heated to shrink around wire. Very cost effective.

3. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

You could always take your scraps to a recycling facility.

4. NightLightingFX

NightLightingFX LawnSite Senior Member

Chris,
    I have thought about that. Have you done that? Can you get very much for landscape wire? and is it a hassle to do?
    ~Ned
    www.nightlightingfx

5. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Kingsland, Texas

I donate my scrap wire to a local deaf/mute who sells it for scrap. I hear that copper is going for $3 lb. That's pretty good!!

6. JackTorsed

JackTorsed LawnSite Member
    from Utah

That's very charitable of you. I give all my recyclable bottles and cans to my helpers.

7. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

that copper has got to be worth something, they are stealing it out of houses here on new construction.

8. ar-t

ar-t LawnSite Member

This is the worst year I have ever seen for copper risers being stolen from irrigation systems. Churches.............private residences......they steal from all of them.

My scrap goes into a box in the truck. I cull out the good pieces for pigtails, the rest goes to the recycler.

9. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

We have an offsite warehouse to house all of our raw goods and it has been broken into once this summer. They took a bunch of raw copper goods. We filed a police report and notified all the recycling plants around. We sent pictures of the parts stolen. They ended up busting the guy and recovering most of our goods in a few days about 40 miles from our factory. It was about $2000 worth of recycled copper.

It is getting ugly, I thinkt hey are giving $2.50lb here for copper.

10. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

I don't currently do it, but I'm going to start. I hear you can get some pretty decent money out of it. We yank a bunch of jobs out of the ground, and I've just thrown it away in the past. To me, this is wasted money. At $3 per pound, this will add up quick. And it isn't a hassle; just keep dumping it into some type of container until it's full and take it in! The facility will do the rest.