The future of lawn care.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Cody Thelen, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Cody Thelen

Cody Thelen LawnSite Member

Hello everyone! I'm new here on the site but I wanted to pose a question to both veteran's of the industry and folks just starting out. Where do you see the industry in say five years. Companies like Honda and others are now coming out with homeowner robot mowers for at home use and I wouldn't be surprised to see the popularity of them grow especially as the price begins to drop in coming years. So what do we think? Will there's still be a demand? Will only big companies survive and one man crews will be forced out? Or will there be room for everyone no matter what size and services. I'm really curious what everyone has to say!

2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Somebody would still need to weedeat. That is the part people like the least. One day 50% of jobs done today will be done by robotics. There won't be many job losses, because people will do different things than they do today. Young people really need to focus on higher education. Many blue collar jobs will be done by robots. Walmart has a robot that rolls up and down isles checking stock:

Cody Thelen and RussellB like this.
  3. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

They'll always be demand for lawn guys and cleaning people etc. Robots are cool but they aren't a do all end all.

Cam15, hort101, sjessen and 2 others like this.
  4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I was listening to a radio show about this the other day. They were talking about new jobs that we have not dreamed about today being created in the future. BMW has many robots working side by side with employees. They have robot lanes so workers don't get run over. There are robot welders and assemblers. Somebody has to work on the robots. One day they will repair themselves. Ridiculous that there was only one robot on many Star trek episodes. Robots will free humans up to do other things.
    As far as Lawn care, Data of Star Trek could weedeat , mow and use the blower:laugh:

hort101 and RussellB like this.
  5. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

Five years I don't see much changing 20-30 sure. 5 not so much

Cam15, landscaper22, DXN1EL and 2 others like this.
  6. Doc8406

Doc8406 LawnSite Fanatic

in twenty years.. ain't going much matter to me anyway!

Cam15, DXN1EL, weeze and 5 others like this.
  7. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

In 20 years I’ll be opening a new lawncare business. Granddaddy’s lawncare, no whipper snapper can compete with me.

Cam15, TomH&H, sjessen and 6 others like this.
  8. Doc8406

Doc8406 LawnSite Fanatic

:laughing:

i like your style!

Cam15, Tara Ann and RussellB like this.
  9. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

In twenty years I'll still be younger then you! Does that make you feel better?

Cam15, jonthepain, DXN1EL and 3 others like this.
  10. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Like spending more time on fakebook , netflix binges and ordering any want on amazon :cool2:

Cam15, Charles, Doc8406 and 1 other person like this.