The future of lawn care.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Cody Thelen, Mar 7, 2019.

1. danothemano

danothemano LawnSite Senior Member

Mods please block this thread, we all know I am the future of lawn care

Greencuts518 likes this.
  2. MLGA

MLGA LawnSite Member

Just more oversaturation in the industry and thats basically it. We may find out who this elusive "guy" new customers talk about who cut their 1/4 acres for $10 but time will tell on that one.

3. Koehn's Lawn Service

Koehn's Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

I have other things to think about and worry about rather than some stupid robot like has been said what about the quality and blowing trimming edging that's what people are paying for I garruntee all my clients aren't going to weed eat edge or blow there properties

4. Erik R

Erik R LawnSite Member

Robots can only do so much. I can see robots available to mow lawns and maybe edge but that's about it. I don't see them being able to do artful or skilled landscaping like attractive pruning or diagnosing disease. Think of it like a vacuum in a pool. it cleans but it doesn't eliminate the need for a pool guy that can do repairs and can spot algae etc. hopefully robots will be available to assist us rather than hurt our business.

5. Capt J-rod

Capt J-rod LawnSite Member

With the help that is available I might consider buying a few robots. Employees are the hardest part of any business.

Erik R likes this.
  6. MLGA

MLGA LawnSite Member

Be your luck the robot becomes self aware and starts smoking cigarettes while mowing the yard.

7. LawnLisa

LawnLisa LawnSite Member

Robots can't do it all, but I was playing around with the idea of getting a few. They could do the basic lawns for some bigger customers and then I could do edging and trees by myself. I'm not sure tho, anyone who's tried them?

8. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

On August 29, 2029, Skynet will become self-aware and start total world domination via the robot mowers. It will result in a total nuclear war where all the fertilizer plants will simultaneously explode killing all mankind. Only a few will survive. They will be lead to a glorious victory against the machines by some dude who is the son of a really hot chick in tight shorts. Arnold will still be alive and this time have two bionic eyes....
    My childhood was awesome lol

sehitchman likes this.
  9. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

No but I know if a few in service tho.

1 is a homeowner. It’s the Husqvarna auto mower. Max height of cut is 2.5” on it and it’s on a Fescue lawn. It looks like hell. Spring wasn’t bad but now that it’s hot, just awful.

The 2nd ones I know of are at a commercial property. Like 3 of them spread out since it has a few islands of grass around the parking lot. Again, the property looks bad. It’s Fescue and is burnt up. The crazy thing is when the mowers get stuck or stop cutting for any reason, the lco gets an email and they have to go fix/adjust the auto mower - no matter what day or time it is. I know the lco who installed and maintains them. They still have to trim, edge and blow off the lot every 7-10 days.

It can work in certain situations but it will not be the future, just a new niche.

hort101 likes this.
  10. MattZ28

MattZ28 LawnSite Member

Either way there's a good chance that the cost of business will continue to go up and the going rates will stay stagnant for the rest of eternity