• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

The invasion of of cab over trucks

Gravel Rat

LawnSite Fanatic
I was out getting some tires changed over on my truck and I noticed there has been a invasion of 1-2 ton cabover trucks. They are not the North American ones either. They are Mitsbishi Canter I couldn't beleive how many were running around.

I guess fuel economy must be the biggest factor of owning one. They are all owned by landscapers. You would think your in Asia seeing all these cab over trucks running around.

Even the GMC/Isuzu trucks are making a come back lots of them around with flatdecks on them.

I did have to laugh yesterday thou I was stuck behind some old fart speeding up and slowing down and swearving. Had a GMC/Isuzu 5500 cab over behind me trying to keep close so we could pass this old fart. The dumb old goof stepped on it I got by him but the poor guy in the cabover didn't have enough power to pass the guy. The passing lane was on a 8% grade I barely made it passed the guy he was doing 100km/h in a 80km/h zone.

As I said I was surprised how many of these imported right hand drive trucks are on the roads.

Caterkillar

LawnSite Senior Member
This is coming from a guy that has to upgrade his pos ford every couple years. My 1999 isuzu cabovers are still on the road. I would bet my ROI is a hell of alot better than yours. Hell, you don't even have a ROI!!!

OP
Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat

LawnSite Fanatic
The GMC/Isuzu trucks really haven't left but they were never used for landscaping mostly for P+D trucking.

The imported overseas trucks are becoming more popular I know there is a few dealers/brokers importing these vehicals supposidly they can get them cheap.

Rust is a big problem with the GMC/Isuzu the guys that had them. After 10-12 years the cabs were so rusted they wouldn't pass inspection.

DaveAust

LawnSite Member
This is coming from a guy that has to upgrade his pos ford every couple years. My 1999 isuzu cabovers are still on the road. I would bet my ROI is a hell of alot better than yours. Hell, you don't even have a ROI!!!
I second this.

In Australia cabovers from Isuzu, Mitsubishi, Toyota/Hino etc are everywhere. From little tippers to semi trailers. Generally with basic maintenance they just keep going well past their depreciated life and then are sold to someone like me who'll keep 'em going even further:) No transmission problems or motor problems they just keep going.

Some may not be performance vehicles, (your choice), but they sure are reliable and best of all you can make a good return in your business by owning one. And hey isn't making your business successful what it's all about?

Fear of cabovers could be bad for your business. And just coz you don't like the way they look or you can't figure out how to stop rust??? ... you would not choose them:confused:
Please, when business success comes down to superficial looks or you haven't the brains to stop rust you may have already lost the plot. Get over it.

Apologies if I offended anyone but the types of trucks from Ford and GM I see in the US are usually bought in Australia by guys with small appendages for pulling a boat on the weekends and just clog up our local boat ramp in vacation times. Still pop a few transmissions just doing that:rolleyes:

May your businesses thrive which ever way the economy goes, Dave

Caterkillar

LawnSite Senior Member
The GMC/Isuzu trucks really haven't left but they were never used for landscaping mostly for P+D trucking.

The imported overseas trucks are becoming more popular I know there is a few dealers/brokers importing these vehicals supposidly they can get them cheap.

Rust is a big problem with the GMC/Isuzu the guys that had them. After 10-12 years the cabs were so rusted they wouldn't pass inspection.
My isuzu FRR hauls a 10k pound skid on the body with a jake brake, 7.8L inline six, air assisted brakes. Makes your 550 look like a tonka toy.

MOREDIRT

LawnSite Member
I have the same truck isuzu frr with a dump it is a great truck I haul 14k with it all the time. It can do a u turn on a 2 lane hwy gets good mileage and you can tilt the cab and raise the dump and work on any part of the truck but I have never had a problem with it. I don't understand why they quit making these trucks?? I only buy cab overs you can buy nprs with 15ok miles with a box for 7-10k and put a flat or dump on them and run for 300-400k.

Skidsteerman

LawnSite Senior Member
It took me a while to notice this but in the last few years, no cab over semi's are sold anymore... least that I can tell. Nothing but conventional's on the road now. Fuel mileage saving from aerodynamics?!?