1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

The Kohler 26 HP EFI or the Kawasaki 27HP Liquid Cooled

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Devin, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Devin

Devin Guest

I want to get a new Toro ZTR 72" deck. Dont know which engine to go with. The Kohler 26 HP EFI or the Kawasaki 27HP Liquid Cooled. Pls help me make a decission. I want the best engine that will work well with a 72' deck and have the most power.:blob4:

2. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

kaw. ez pz japaneezee. 27 kaw lifetime 2500+hours. kohler lifetime 800-1500 hours.

3. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Having both about the best input I can give is:

It's a coin toss and you can't go wrong with either.

Both are reliable, dependable and fuel efficient.

Like about 26efi:
    Starts easy with no choke.
    Lighter machine.

Like about 27lc:
    Quiter with longer engine life.

A Kohler will last 2000 hours at least. We have most of ours last 2500.

4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Having a 26EFI but not a Kawi I still would say to ask yourself how you are gonna use the machine every day.
    I'm thinking that if you have a lot of hot days and you are running this big deck for 6 or 7 hours straight 4 or 5 days a week then I would have to go with something liquid cooled.

The 26EFI is a great motor and I certainly have not found the opportunity to put it to that type of test. It is good on fuel, has good power and is relatively trouble free. I had 1 bump with a bad fuel pump but I believe that those problems are gone on the new ones. Just my opinion, Good Luck.

5. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

David, 800-1500 hours? Maybe if maintnance is not preformed often enough. my last rider had a kohlor magnum 20hp that had 3,000 hours when I sold it. I know many with kohlors with 3500-4,000 hours on them. It all comes down to proper maintance.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Thank you, Evan. You chose the words that I would have said also. This is a tough call between the two, since both are sweet motors. I can't say as much about the LC, as I din't have one, but a friend of mine does. He loves it. I can speak for the EFI though, and it is one bad unit. I run mine all day in the high heat, and it works just great. I CAN tell you this, the EFI has a bit more power than the LC. We have ran these side by side, traded on and of, and proven it with both agreeing over and over.