The Last Straw

Randall Riley

LawnSite Member
I mainly trim, mow and blow and a little light landscaping. All of my customers are great and shower me with compliments on my work.....except for one. She's a profitable customer that I mow three of her properties for. The problems originate from an apt. complex that all I hear are complaints from. "Cut it shorter"....."Does he ever weedeat?"....."He didn't blow off my sidewalk". If it wasnt for the other easy-money properties of her's that I cut I would have already dropped her. So, what was your last straw with some of your own more profitable customers?

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
Are those complaints coming from the tenants or the landlord? I'd pay zero attention to tenants. I do a couple multi unit rentals for a lady and haven't had any issues, but have seen people post about them. Seems HOA owners are the worst when you contract with the board and not individuals.

OP
Randall Riley

Randall Riley

LawnSite Member
Are those complaints coming from the tenants or the landlord? I'd pay zero attention to tenants. I do a couple multi unit rentals for a lady and haven't had any issues, but have seen people post about them. Seems HOA owners are the worst when you contract with the board and not individuals.
Mainly the tenants. They are cheap apts. and hardly any of them work so I guess they have nothing better to do than complain about those who do.

Oklawnhoma Lawn Service

LawnSite Senior Member
I mainly trim, mow and blow and a little light landscaping. All of my customers are great and shower me with compliments on my work.....except for one. She's a profitable customer that I mow three of her properties for. The problems originate from an apt. complex that all I hear are complaints from. "Cut it shorter"....."Does he ever weedeat?"....."He didn't blow off my sidewalk". If it wasnt for the other easy-money properties of her's that I cut I would have already dropped her. So, what was your last straw with some of your own more profitable customers?

Well, usually for me it's the less profitable customers who are overly picky, which is why they're less profitable. I did a bunch of extra work for this customer and I totally under charged, $60 (it would be rare to even find illegal immigrants who would do it for under $150 so I messed up big time) and she's like "can you do it for $50? I'm a senior citizen!" Lady, it's obvious that you're well over 250 years old, to say the least, so don't be a 49er and brag as if you look young but aren't. No, I didn't say that, but I said I could do it for $55 and she agreed. I did the job, not 100% perfect but it looked good but a few days later when I came to mow she started complaining about the job I did saying "I'm upset, I never pay so much in my life, fix it!" I can't believe I was even gonna go as low as $60, not for 2 and a half hours of work. But I guess I didn't want to let her down because she was a "good customer". But a "good customer" can go bad without a moment's notice, just like seemingly every weed eater or backpack blower does. So after hearing her complain "it's expensive" and "I never pay so much in my life" I just mowed the lawn then never came back again (I let her know of course).

Top Forums