Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plant Plant community Tire Land lot Grass

So since 2020 I have been resurrecting my lawn. Rebuilding the soil , testing , feeding , weeding , mowing
This year my lawn has been a real love/hate battle
1. Its the best its been in many years
2. Its been the worst year ever for weeds and Fungus

then its things like this that just make you go Argghhh
Heres a tall fescue that has decided to sprout over the past few weeks during the hottest driest start to the summer. This area sees no water/fert or care at all. Often there are boards and bins stacked here
Road surface Plant Wood Grass Asphalt

Then this showed up over the past few days
See Top Photo

oh and another love hate: for many many many years I never had to mow into July….this year even with the lack of rain I have had to mow 4 times. Im dreading the cool months to come , I might be mowing every 3 days!

·
Registered
7,484 Posts
View attachment 518270
So since 2020 I have been resurrecting my lawn. Rebuilding the soil , testing , feeding , weeding , mowing
This year my lawn has been a real love/hate battle
1. Its the best its been in many years
2. Its been the worst year ever for weeds and Fungus

then its things like this that just make you go Argghhh
Heres a tall fescue that has decided to sprout over the past few weeks during the hottest driest start to the summer. This area sees no water/fert or care at all. Often there are boards and bins stacked here
View attachment 518269
Then this showed up over the past few days
See Top Photo

oh and another love hate: for many many many years I never had to mow into July….this year even with the lack of rain I have had to mow 4 times. Im dreading the cool months to come , I might be mowing every 3 days!

I know what you mean. A lot more goes into having a nice lawn than most people think. That's why you don't see very many of them. On the other hand, it's also what makes lawn care an enjoyable and challenging hobby or profession.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know what you mean. A lot more goes into having a nice lawn than most people think. That's why you don't see very many of them. On the other hand, it's also what makes lawn care an enjoyable and challenging hobby or profession.
I just want my lawn to survive.
funny thing is I have been talking with the neighbor with the best lawn on my street.
When I was “crying” about my problems he laughed and said
“You created a great buffet and all the bugs/fungus have come to enjoy it”

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your neighbor is very wise. :)
He also has a large disposable income.
He started installing his new irrigation system this year. High volume , high pressure with a fertilizer/fungicide/herbicide injection system. Of course all wifi/bluetooth computer control.
Although his “controller” is on nack order.
Says it will work with his weather station and some remote moister meters in his lawn.
For now he can just water as normal.

·
Registered
7,484 Posts
He also has a large disposable income.
He started installing his new irrigation system this year. High volume , high pressure with a fertilizer/fungicide/herbicide injection system. Of course all wifi/bluetooth computer control.
Although his “controller” is on nack order.
Says it will work with his weather station and some remote moister meters in his lawn.
For now he can just water as normal.
Wow, that would be nice to have and make things very easy, but it might take some of the fun out of doing it yourself.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At this point I think my watering efforts are just enough to keep it alive.
Im only watering the foot traffic areas
The picture of the lone fescue sees Zero water.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Plant community Plant Road surface Grass Asphalt
Heres another area that gets zero love , I hit the nutshedge in hopes to stop that from spreading. The Fescue is alive and well compared to where I want grass to grow!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Plant Plant community Vertebrate Sky Tree

What is your complaint with your lawn?
The “complaint”
That the grass is growing where it gets no love and my “lawn” is always fighting for its “life”
I have not needed to mow after July 4th in many many years , even with my lawn. problems its still growing and needs mowing.
Im only watering in the heavy walking area around the house.
Picture above Im watering around where the chairs are and around the corner to the right to the driveway.
The “brown patch” has not former yet near the trees as seen in my previous picture.

Area beyond the trees is a unused leaching field and is all rock and sand just below the surface. The fact that any if it survives is a plus.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
View attachment 518338

The “complaint”
That the grass is growing where it gets no love and my “lawn” is always fighting for its “life”
I have not needed to mow after July 4th in many many years , even with my lawn. problems its still growing and needs mowing.
Im only watering in the heavy walking area around the house.
Picture above Im watering around where the chairs are and around the corner to the right to the driveway.
The “brown patch” has not former yet near the trees as seen in my previous picture the space beyond the trees is a un used leaching field and im happy if that even lives year to year. Its all sand and stone just below the surface.

·
Registered
18,875 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something here.... lawn looks brown in some areas.... due to lack of watering... why don't you just water the whole thing properly and be done with it? Also what is your height of cut? Raising it up to the highest setting will help tremendously.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Maybe I'm missing something here.... lawn looks brown in some areas.... due to lack of watering... why don't you just water the whole thing properly and be done with it? Also what is your height of cut? Raising it up to the highest setting will help tremendously.
Eh its a vent more than anything.
Rider is at its highest point touch over 3” , get 4” with the push mower.
Had a early fungus out break so its been 3” cut and bag last several mowings.
Watering 18k sqft by hand/sprinkler is not something I want to do or pay for.

our current restrictions
Even numbered houses may water ONLY on Tuesdays and Saturdays. Odd numbered houses may water ONLY on Thursdays and Sundays. The permitted hours for outside use of water for all residents are before 9am and after 5pm. Please help us protect our water supply by obeying this water restriction.

·
Registered
18,875 Posts
Ahhh you were venting, now I get it. You wanted to complain, without be willing to do anything about it :) aka venting lol.

Reality is, either put in the time and money to water it properly or deal with the brown lawn. Honestly, auto watering that small of a yard could be really easy and you don't necessarily need in ground sprinklers either. A hose bib timer, a few lengths of hose, and some rotors on zinc spikes daisy chained together and presto- above ground automatic irrigation. I used this method for a couple years and was able to keep a half acre watered without much issue.

If I had watering restrictions like that, I'd have the sprinklers running constantly from 5pm to 9am twice a week. But that's just me.

If you can get that mower height up to 5 inches it would help tremendously.

·
Registered
7,484 Posts
I don't think watering 2 days a week would keep my lawn out of dormancy. I have 5 inches of soil over sand. I think I would let it go dormant and water enough to keep it alive. It would depend some on the weather. It's not usually this dry here.

Watering all night could lead to fungus problems.

·
Registered
18,875 Posts
Can you give clarification? What do you mean watering two days a week wouldn't keep your lawn out of dormancy? Aren't you watering twice a week putting down a half to three quarter inch each time?

I water mine twice a week at these rates and mine is lush and green.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't think watering 2 days a week would keep my lawn out of dormancy. I have 5 inches of soil over sand. I think I would let it go dormant and water enough to keep it alive. It would depend some on the weather. It's not usually this dry here.

Watering all night could lead to fungus problems.
Pretty much what I have and trying to maintain.
I have been improving my lawn over the past few years. I still cant figure out how to post pics in order hut heres a few from the past to present
Plant Natural landscape Building Tree Land lot

Plant Plant community Flower Tree Vegetation

Plant Tree Land lot Natural landscape Grass

Plant Tree Sky Natural landscape Window

Plant Building Tree House Window

Plant Property Tree Natural environment Natural landscape

Plant Plant community Tree Land lot Natural landscape

·
Registered
7,484 Posts
1 - 20 of 29 Posts