Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,484 Posts
View attachment 518270
So since 2020 I have been resurrecting my lawn. Rebuilding the soil , testing , feeding , weeding , mowing
This year my lawn has been a real love/hate battle
1. Its the best its been in many years
2. Its been the worst year ever for weeds and Fungus

then its things like this that just make you go Argghhh
Heres a tall fescue that has decided to sprout over the past few weeks during the hottest driest start to the summer. This area sees no water/fert or care at all. Often there are boards and bins stacked here
View attachment 518269
Then this showed up over the past few days
See Top Photo

oh and another love hate: for many many many years I never had to mow into July….this year even with the lack of rain I have had to mow 4 times. Im dreading the cool months to come , I might be mowing every 3 days!

I know what you mean. A lot more goes into having a nice lawn than most people think. That's why you don't see very many of them. On the other hand, it's also what makes lawn care an enjoyable and challenging hobby or profession.

·
Registered
7,484 Posts
He also has a large disposable income.
He started installing his new irrigation system this year. High volume , high pressure with a fertilizer/fungicide/herbicide injection system. Of course all wifi/bluetooth computer control.
Although his “controller” is on nack order.
Says it will work with his weather station and some remote moister meters in his lawn.
For now he can just water as normal.
Wow, that would be nice to have and make things very easy, but it might take some of the fun out of doing it yourself.

·
Registered
7,484 Posts
I don't think watering 2 days a week would keep my lawn out of dormancy. I have 5 inches of soil over sand. I think I would let it go dormant and water enough to keep it alive. It would depend some on the weather. It's not usually this dry here.

Watering all night could lead to fungus problems.

·
Registered
7,484 Posts

·
Registered
7,484 Posts
Wow. You're watering 3 inches a week? I'm surprised by this. I'm watering less than this on what I had assumed was more sandy soil and heat stress hasn't been an issue.

Seems like our numbers are not making sense
A simple math error I suspect. 0.5 x 3.5 = 1.75 in. per week. (It may actually be closer to 0.4 inches each time, so a little more than 1.5 inches per week) That is the typical evapotranspiration rate here in July and August.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts