Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18,853 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something here.... lawn looks brown in some areas.... due to lack of watering... why don't you just water the whole thing properly and be done with it? Also what is your height of cut? Raising it up to the highest setting will help tremendously.

·
Registered
18,853 Posts
Ahhh you were venting, now I get it. You wanted to complain, without be willing to do anything about it :) aka venting lol.

Reality is, either put in the time and money to water it properly or deal with the brown lawn. Honestly, auto watering that small of a yard could be really easy and you don't necessarily need in ground sprinklers either. A hose bib timer, a few lengths of hose, and some rotors on zinc spikes daisy chained together and presto- above ground automatic irrigation. I used this method for a couple years and was able to keep a half acre watered without much issue.

If I had watering restrictions like that, I'd have the sprinklers running constantly from 5pm to 9am twice a week. But that's just me.

If you can get that mower height up to 5 inches it would help tremendously.

·
Registered
18,853 Posts
Can you give clarification? What do you mean watering two days a week wouldn't keep your lawn out of dormancy? Aren't you watering twice a week putting down a half to three quarter inch each time?

I water mine twice a week at these rates and mine is lush and green.

·
Registered
18,853 Posts
I water every other day, 0.5 in. each time, and that's just enough to keep it green. Any more water at a time goes through the soil and disappears into the sand. The same was true when I mowed higher.
Wow. You're watering 3 inches a week? I'm surprised by this. I'm watering less than this on what I had assumed was more sandy soil and heat stress hasn't been an issue.

Seems like our numbers are not making sense

·
Registered
18,853 Posts
I understand the issue with your wife. My wife is the same way. I explained the situation and eventually she relented.

In your situation I would buy 4 50ft garden hoses, 4 zinc spikes, 4 hunter pgp heads and a hose bib timer. I'd put 1 gpm nozzles in the heads and daisy chain them together. I'd space them 30ft apart to get good head to head coverage. Then run em in one position one day a week and move them to the other position the other day. If you run them the entire alloted time you'll get close to your one inch.

I actually kept an acre watered this way for a couple seasons before I installed the inground system. I glued up a manifold of six valves , wired up a controller and had six zones of four heads each. Man I had a lot of garden hoses lol. It took almost as much time to tear down and set up each week as it did to mow lol

My mower is set at 4.75. Is it a tad longer than I like? Yep. But, I'd rather have Iong and green than brown and short any day.

Fun fact- last month I estimate I put down roughly 300,000 gallons of water on my 2 acres I keep irrigated. Granted I live on a lake with many other bodies of water nearby and have well water.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts