The main theme of GIE this year....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, Oct 19, 2017.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Li Ion battery power! Every company is going after a piece of the pie.

IMG_20171019_145249.jpg

fritowrdo likes this.
  2. arl250

arl250 LawnSite Senior Member

I have noticed that too. Everyone and I mean everyone is doing something battery powered

3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Personally, if battery powered crap is all that I can use, I will hang it up. Fortunately, I have enough "real" BP's etc to last me for a very long time.

All these idiot companies bringing the eco friendly crap out:rolleyes:. Where the heck do they think electricity to charge them back up comes from? It sure as heck ain't windmills and solar panels.:hammerhead:

4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i already have all the echo battery stuff. it's good but it's nowhere near as powerful as gas powered stuff. the only thing that is pretty good is the hedge trimmers. everything else is lacking. the hedge trimmers are good and battery lasts like 2.5hrs or something. everything else has shorter run times. it works fine if you are mowing your yard every week and nothing is overgrown or anything. it would never work for business though.

oqueoque likes this.
  5. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I just like running an engine, and listening to it work. I do like my cordless drills though, but maybe that's because they don't make gas powered drills, at least none that are portable and shop sized handy LOL

gcbailey and CGros31 like this.
  6. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Florida

I've had this same conversation with my wife about electric cars and the eco people don't seem to think about how the electricity to power their cars is produced.

Or how they talk about how much money they save on gas, but how much did their electric bill go up?

Ridin' Green and gfwjr2 like this.
  7. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

I would bet they get some tax incentives to make them. Reason behind the push.

Ridin' Green and knox gsl like this.
  8. brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Senior Member

I've got the Milwaukee m18 trimmer and I love it. More than enough power for what I do. Milwaukee stuff is awesome though.

9. JWallace115

JWallace115 LawnSite Member

Heres how the electricity is produced, since maybe some aren't aware. Most power is prodiced by natural gas, not fossil fuels in the US.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/power-plants/?utm_term=.8afe9ab9dc12

And compared to fueling up your car there is huge savings over what your electric bill would go up for most people but depends on how much you drive.

"If electricity costs $0.11 per kilowatt-hour, charging an all-electric vehicle with a 70-mile range (assuming a fully depleted 24 kWh battery) will cost about $2.64 to reach a full charge. This cost is about the same as operating an average central air conditioner for about 6 hours. General Motors estimates the annual energy use of the Chevy Volt is about 2,520 kilowatt-hours, which is less energy than what is required to power a typical water heater or central air conditioning. To compare the fueling costs of individual models of conventional and plug-in vehicles, see the Vehicle Cost Calculator."

Does this out weigh the increased cost of the vehicle and increase in keeping it maintained, not sure...probably not.. and while I don't own an electric vehicle or plan to buy one your reasoning for being against them don't seem to hold up.

10. whammer33024

whammer33024 LawnSite Senior Member

i agree that the technology isn't quite there yet for me to want to switch to electric, but its definitely coming whether we like it or not. i do love gas powered engines, but if(when) deere or scag comes out with an electric zero turn that has the proper power, i will literally throw money at them