The new stinger ride on aerator.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RABBITMAN11, Jun 30, 2018.

1. RABBITMAN11

RABBITMAN11 LawnSite Bronze Member

Just initial first hand reviews.

1. A huge improvement is the riders comfort.
    Soft comfortable ride.
    2. Speed feels to be about 2-3 mph faster than the previous ride on aerators
    3. Hand brake to secure the machine in place is easy to use over the completions.
    4. Couple special options on engaging tines is convenient.
    5. The speed of tines engaging are incredibly fast. Haven’t seen anything Respond this quickly.
    6. Hill stability I Way Better for a couple reasons
    Wheel stance, and center of gravity is extremely low.
    7. No chains!!! If you driven the chain drive units you can relate.
    Production is increased due to speed and width.
    Excited to add this to our fleet.

Larry your going to want one.

hort101 and ETM like this.
  2. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Fanatic
    from nc

Aren’t these units developed/built by the lawn solutions guy? Interested to see more info and compare to the lawn solutions/exmark version. Maybe through the turfco unit into the comparison as well

RABBITMAN11 likes this.
  3. RABBITMAN11

RABBITMAN11 LawnSite Bronze Member

I’ve owed several of the exmark units. Ran the turfco, have not ran the ryan. All though those ride on units get the job done they still have a lot of maintenance to keep them rolling. Problem with chains is they stretch, break and pop when put under load. Aeration is tough on those parts. Another issue is the dirt and grime building up on the chains.
    Sold all of our old units to go with the full hydro drive.

4. adam.neusbaum

adam.neusbaum LawnSite Senior Member

A5C601D0-A0C9-4825-A683-A50D1888C9E0.jpeg But do any of the other aerators offer operator comfort like this?
    Here in Florida we need all the breeze we can get.
    I get absolutely soaked while running around marking the sprinkler heads with turf paint as I’m also adjusting them as they put out tons of water. Next I go to my happy place after switching this 16” 12 volt fan on while aerating.
    By the end of the job I’m completely dry. We get to the next group of houses and I start this process all over again.
    Not a bad gig.

Turfco and robertsturf like this.
  5. greenlawnpro

greenlawnpro LawnSite Member

Is there a warranty on the stinger? Curious how the pumps are going to hold up.

6. Stinger Equipment

Stinger Equipment Sponsor

Great questions which gives me a chance to explain in detail how different our unit really is to anything else on the market....sorry for the long detailed post in advance.

Is there a warranty: Yes; 1-year; covers pretty much everything.

7. Stinger Equipment

How will the pump hold up? Great questions and here are some simple facts:

Below are 4 things that limit the life of hydraulics pumps. I will address all 4.
    1. Heat
    2. Pressure
    3. Micro air bubbles in the lines
    4. Dirt or contamination
    Most of the riding aerators use 10cc pump and all of them use either 10cc or 12cc pumps. Our's unit utilizes 16cc pumps for longer life and greater performance.

hort101 likes this.
  8. Stinger Equipment

1st - Heat

Heat in a hydro-static drive is made by pressure on the fluid from the work being done and pressure (pressure drop) from fluid going through the lines and fittings. To keep heat down, cooling fans are used. These fans normally are on the pumps because its the most reliable, or auxiliary coolers are used if the system isn't able to handle the heat load...a band-aid of sorts over using larger pumps, correct air flow, and larger hydro lines.

We don't use aux coolers because the will eventually fail, and are very, very expensive to replace. They also are a common point for hydraulics leaks.

Our unit was designed with the largest pumps (40% larger) in the industry for all riding aerators to keep the heat down, longer life, and eliminate the need for a auxiliary cooler. In fact, our unit runs cooler with just the standard pump fans than anything else in the industry. How do we know? We tested it, and tested it, and tested it.

Below is some of our pump testing: 100F ambient temp, where we loaded the unit up for hours and hours monitoring temperatures and pressures through the entire system. This test is so extreme it could never be reproduced under real conditions.

What did we learn? It is way over engineered which is by design to ensure we don't have any hydro-static drive issues. The unit runs very cool compared to what the pump and motor manufactures expect to see.

Testing.jpg

So in summary: For Heat control we have...
    1. Much larger and more capable pumps
    2. Since we don't have chains, we have much larger drive motors too (>100% larger in most cases) which also keeps the heat down.
    3. Larger diameter hydraulic lines for less pressure loss
    4. Better air flow for cooling
    5. We only need the standard pump fans which is the most reliable means of cooling.
    6. Our unit runs cooler with lower temperature and pressures making everything else last longer.

9. Stinger Equipment

2nd - Pressure

Higher the pressure the shorter the life of anything. Engines, hydraulics, pumps, etc...

This is why we went with the much larger 16cc pumps. The lower pressure ensured we would be able achieve our aerating of > 8 mph at 36" wide goal without putting any extra stress on the drive components.

Work or power in hydraulics is a combinations of flow and pressure. If you increase the flow you greatly decrease the pressure and heat which lead to longer life.

So how much flow do we have running through our system.....a shocking about of flow. I'll cover that next.

10. Stinger Equipment

3rd - micro air bubbles are the death of hydraulic drive systems. You get micro air bubbles which leads to pitting on the internal pump and motor component.

What causes micro air bubbles:

1. Too small of reservoir with proper dwell time to remove them.
    2. High pressures in a system
    3. Any cavitation from low oil levels.

1st - all hydraulic systems should have a 30 sec dwell time for the oil to sit in the reservoir before entering back into the system. This means you should have 2-3 gals reservoir on your system depending on the side and flows for any riding aerator (all of them except stinger are much smaller than this). This size of reservoir should also have baffles so oil goes in one ones side and out the other so the oil is in the tank the maximum amount of time allowing micro bubbles to escape and also gives off more heat.

Tanks where the inlet and outlet hoses are right next to each other allow air bubbles to just circulate through the drive system leading to a much shorter life and expensive repairs down the road.

So at Stinger: We have a 3.5 gal reservoir with a very visible sight glass to view the fluid level any time. We also have internal tank baffles so oil goes in one side and is removed from the other after it has been in the tank for more than 30 seconds. We also use a large thin (steel) tank that will maximize cooling and surface area allowing the system to expel heat through natural convection.

Rounded and uniform plastic tanks are designed to minimize material costs and should never be used a hydraulic reservoir. Plastic tanks insulate heat so minimal heat is released from the system. This is why you never (or should never) see a plastic reservoir on commercial piece of equipment using hydraulics to do work.