Lawn Care Forum banner

The new Super Z Any updates?

134K views 882 replies 39 participants last post by  Mickhippy 
#1 ·
Wondering how there holding up? New deck Hydro system? Look impressive on paper. Any real world users?

#3 ·
I have a whooping 20hrs on mine so far, but they havent been easy hours.
Hydros are awesome, deck gets long damp grass out but unsure of clipping dispersal as have only cut one place with "normal" length dry grass. Seemed to work well though.
The 37 uses a lot of fuel but can get through heavy growth quickly.
I have flex fork and the juries still out on them. They can bounce, cause some scalping and terracing on slopes. They are optional though!
Hate the fuel tank, the ROPS is unusable (hinge is too high and juts out too far.)

But the machine drives awesome, seems to cut well all things considered at the moment here.
Photos. ("week later" is normal length grass, lots of previous weeks clippings on top, but few clumps) There is a vid of that job as well.
https://picasaweb.google.com/110349...authkey=Gv1sRgCMKb4L6f3_-lggE&feat=directlink

Once it dries out properly I'll get a better idea of cut. Had storms last 2 days so its been a bit of a nightmare.
My daughter took these photos Sunday. They had to drive straight into it!

Cloud Car Sky Vehicle Infrastructure

Cloud Sky Car Atmosphere Street light

#5 ·
I was at home when it hit, its basically right over my head in the pic. Strong winds, HEAVY rain but thankfully no hail. Had another not so bad storm yesterday as well. Another storm today there saying. Im over it! Just keeping everything wet!

My daughter doesnt get chased by storms, she runs head long into them! haaa

#9 ·
No problem going up/down, its across the slope they terrace. But, I dont know if normal forks do that as well. I would guess, not so much.

Ridin", seen the show. Ive ssen them running from iddy biddy twisters! Pussies! :dizzy: haa
Ouch!! LOL

I didn't know if you all could see that show down there or not. I'm just waiting for the one where they finally all get wisked off to OZ.:waving:

#12 ·
I guess my point is, Im not really impressed with the discharge. The windrows and clumps are just lining up just outside of the deck. Its like they are not being ejected by the outside blade but being pushed out. I cant really see whats going on due to the OCDC and or the chute. The XR7 deck would of had no drama with the grass in these pics below.

The V in VX4 stands for velocity! I just not seing that. It does get long grass out of the deck and cuts the actual grass fine (usually) but the discharge is less than impressive.

Another lawn, 10days growth. Grass no where near as long as the last photos...

Plant Tree Land lot Grass Groundcover

Plant Natural landscape Tree People in nature Land lot

#15 ·
Mick,
I know several here have said that since the stock blades on the SZ's are .205" or so, that the heavier .250" G6's will bog the engine down too much with those super sized hydro's, but I find that hard to believe, especially with the engine you now have.

Give them a shot, or maybe the new G5's (same as G6 exactly, but .205") when they hit the market. They really do move some air, and they also chop the heck out of the clippings, so maybe the high air flow, and smaller clippings will go a long way towards eliminating the clumping/windrowing.

Where's the video bro? LOL
I know you had a video of the place in your top set of pics using your old Z.

#20 ·
I cant say whether you'd have clumping issues or not, its something you will have to check out yourself at the demo. The reason for the picks is just to point out that there may be problems. The deck was set to around 3.25" in the picks below. Thats 1/4" lower than the last lot of this place.

The nicer finished small lawns have been double cut. There was a heap of seed stems so they needed to be chopped. I also think they didnt help with clumping. Im getting clumping on nice lawns as well. Also, have little room for clippings so chop them up as much as I can.

I havent tried the G6 blades yet but will keep them in mind however I dont think its the clipping size, I think grass builds up somewhere on the discharge opening and then falls to the ground. The clumping isnt always bad but there always seems to be a bit of thickness to the amount just outside of the deck rather than a nice even spread.

Anyway, went back and recut that place again yesterday so 3.5-4days growth

1st pick is pretty much what it looked like when I started. Notice the windrows?
3rd and 4th has been cut and starting the "feathering" (raise deck .5" and recut)
Last picks is how I left the place. Not perfect but acceptable IMO all things considered.

The wet patch near that building is from sewerage outlet. Ive been telling them for years to move it every day. At least now they'll see why! Just cant tell some people! :hammerhead:

Plant Tree Natural environment Natural landscape Sky

Plant Tree Natural landscape Land lot Shade

Plant Sky Cloud Tree Natural landscape

Cloud Plant Sky Tree Natural landscape

Plant Tree Natural landscape Sky Grass

Plant Cloud Sky Tree Natural landscape

#22 ·
Had showers last few days (again), but was able to do a few yesterday. Its hard mate, 2 weekly cut grass is long and damp so very frustrating. I am getting windrows in long grass where I wasnt with the xr7. If not taking much off its not too bad.

You know on the xr7 deck they had that angled piece of steal in the discharge chute? I think clippings are getting caught on that with this new deck. Clippings come out the full width of the chute, maybe they shouldnt!

I really think you need a good demo before buying.

#23 ·
Mick,
I might be wrong, but IIRC you cut with your OCDC all the way up in the straight up position. I have read that the discharge chute being wide open can cause the clumping issue, s last summer I tried a little experiment with my 7 Iron. I had the chute all the way up for a while on one place Like I used to always do, and did get a little windrowing. Then I let it back down in its normal position sticking basically straight out to the side, and no more windrowing at all. I tried it a few more times over the sumer with the same results, so maybe there's something to that after all. Try it with the OCDC straight out and see if it helps. Worth a shot.

#25 ·
I mow with the ocdc fully open but I have tried mowing with the deflector chute on with same, or worse windrowing. But I could easily try closing it a bit but I cant see how that will effect the clippings before they even hit it. I'll give it a go though, cant hurt!

Stan, I forgive you! Maybe????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.