The Official Exmark Radius Commercial Review

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by S-205, Jul 8, 2019.

1. S-205

S-205 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ontario

I’m not sure what makes this official but you clicked on it, so jokes on you.

When searching for a new commercial mower I noticed a lot of people asking whether the Exmark Radius would suffice. This is going to be my review of using the Radius X-series for commercial mowing. We cut nearly 40 acres a week, only 3 days of mowing, 2 guys, 2 zero turns. We have about 15 large commercial properties and ten 4-6 acre estates or large high end resi’s. So this mower will cut steep hills, go up and down curbs and cut in all types of conditions and weather. So even though we don’t cut every day, this machine will likely cut about 15-20 hours a week, we use the 48” at almost every one of our jobs.

The mower I bought is an Exmark Radius X-series with a 48” deck. It has a Kawasaki FX651V engine. Two main reasons we bought it: 1) We already have an 07’ Lazer that’s a 60”, We find the 60” and the 48” compliment each other well on various properties.
    2) the 48” Scag Tiger Cat I had blew the engine at 1350 hours and we were in a rush to get cutting. Replacing that Scag will be a tall order because I really like that machine and it was great for about seven years until the motor went. It was set up much the same way with a 48 inch deck and a Kawasaki FS 651V.

29EED3B7-1C68-4F9A-8596-AA29423BBD44.jpeg

5F18B0AA-4F77-4356-B829-4B77D4DB3F1E.jpeg

6BEAC228-E566-4FEA-BBB1-978C0AD421E6.jpeg

001D8714-5A70-4C82-83DB-97ED2F2E3EDF.jpeg

2. Mownmachine144

Mownmachine144 LawnSite Senior Member

Looks really nice. Looks really slick with the black rims, never seen an exmark with black rims , looks nice.
    How is the cut quality compared to the scag you owned before.

3. Caledwen

Caledwen LawnSite Member

I was going to say, the rims are a nice touch. Interested in hearing how well it cuts as well. Looks like it has a hitch, that's a nice touch.

4. OP
    OP
    S-205

from Ontario

So, why didn’t we go buy another Lazer or another 100% commercial mower? If you’re considering this machine, it’s probably because of the price. In our case, in southern Ontario, the Lazer was almost $3000 more. In my opinion they’re fairly comparable machines BUT ONLY IF you get the X Series Radius with the Ultracut 4 deck. It really is a great deck, it cuts well and disperses grass far and evenly. The one bad thing about it, is that the deck is placed far back in the frame onba Radius which means you can’t cut close to things in front of you. But the deck placement being far back also means that when you’re cleaning up and blowing grass using the deck, dry grass has less tendency to come up over the deck and onto the operator when moving forward. The blade tip speed on the ultra cut is quite high which lends itself to a nice cut, and the ability to cut grass at a lower throttle. I find in dry grass you really don’t need to be at WOT. Fuel savings? I dont know I can’t comment on that but I would imagine it’s minimal if there is any.

Another downside, the Radius comes standard with tubeless front caster wheels and in my opinion they suck for commercial use especially when going up and down curbs. They can also catch obstacles and break the bead and go flat which is a waste of time to go fix. With that said you can replace them with no flat casters.

I can’t comment on other deck sizes but the Kawasaki FX 651V with a 48 inch deck is more than powerful enough to handle long and wet grass.

I haven’t used much of the E or S series machines but in my opinion using them to cut commercially may not be the best idea. Each model is about $600-1000 jump in price but the X series is worth the jump for the motor, hydros and suspension seat . I dont know much about the Exmark branded motors that come on the E and S series either.

86A3ABBF-7E15-4F1E-90E8-44AD3F3D1E0E.jpeg

FB4BD2B8-0FDA-4A8A-B6D9-20E94E234645.jpeg

B7AB3F2B-C9BA-48BA-B027-D7E19D2B9666.jpeg

Mownmachine144 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    S-205

from Ontario

Yeah I painted them as soon as I got it haha, we had to buy a hitch on our older Lazer so it’s nice it comes with one.

6. OP
    OP
    S-205

from Ontario

Longevity and reliability are two of the most important characteristics if you’re spending 10 grand on a mower. I’ve never had issues with any of my mowers when it comes to the deck or the frame.
    The motor on this machine is an FX. My Scag has an FS, the FX is more of a commercial motor with the Donaldson style air filter and different jetting in the carb. So call it an upgrade. Longevity? Obviously my mower is new but the FS651V on my Scag never gave me any real trouble until it blew. 1350 hours and about 7 years. I think the stupid style air filter on those, and the fact that it burnt some oil, lead to its demise. So I may have been able to prevent that in hindsight. I will be more careful with this motor and there is no reason that it shouldn’t last 2-3k hours. I’m going To be changing the oil after the break in period with SAE 10w30 Amsoil. Do some research on Amsoil and you’ll pay the extra for it. I’m cheap, and I think it’s worthwhile.

image.jpg

image.jpg

7. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Bronze Member

Lookout, you may home some guys coming in here telling you that exmark is 3 grand more than anything else comparable. They've come out with this line so they can go down a notch and match what the other companies can't match. I think these will sell huge, and I'm currently looking to demo one.

8. Caledwen

Caledwen LawnSite Member

I'm currently running a Toro 48", I wonder if the bagging system is compatible with other Toro and ExMark products. I would be cool, if I didn't have to buy a new blower if I upgrade in the future.

9. Caledwen

Caledwen LawnSite Member

I'm trying to demo my first Exmark as well. I'm looking to upgrade my push mower to their 30" push.

TrainingWheels likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    S-205

from Ontario

I agree with you I think they’ll do well. There’s no doubt the Lazer is a better machine when it comes to motor, hydros and bagging abilities. So when I say they’re comparable I use that term loosely. There will always be a strong market for the Lazer.

I dont know much about the bagging systems actually. I haven’t checked the options list and we don’t bag any of our properties so it wasn’t a concern for me. Whether they’re compatible or not with Toro stuff I doubt it but who knows they’re sister companies.

The 30” is great, we run a Turf Master right now, my sub brings it a couple days a week. It’s a great machine, it cuts way better and faster than a 21”. It’ll almost outwork our 36” Exmark Viking in a lot of ways, I find it can be a bit tiring of a machine to use for a while but that’s just me. My sub found that in a 9 hr day of cutting I think he said it knocked off almost a couple hours compared to his 21”

TrainingWheels likes this.