"The other guy's truck was way too fancy"

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DVS Hardscaper, Feb 24, 2017.

1. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Senior Member

I think we can all agree that the over the top flashy toys aren't for business and wont' attract business. Some people have to show off, others get down and do the work. I think most customers with a good head on their shoulders would rather hire the guys with useable equipment, not the guys flashing their rims and 20" exhaust tips.

2. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

Well since I don't have a Megadeth tee shirt, I am no expert on that, but I have scored some very nice big jobs while working in the field being dirty and sweaty. However, if I am purposely going to an estimate (which I do mostly in the evenings) then I will be much better dressed. I don't understand your post quite frankly. You sound like your trying to start an argument, but then I noticed you like my post. Maybe I am just reading it wrong.

GrassManKzoo and hort101 like this.
  3. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from S.E. New England

I agree with you image is a small part of customer expectations reputation is far more important to us and the customerThumbs UpThumbs Up:D
    I also tried to edit the first post to make it clearer and I couldn't so I added a second 1 no arguments from me brother:)

CrystalCreek and GrassManKzoo like this.
  4. N0cturnal12

N0cturnal12 LawnSite Member

I was looking for someone to come and remove big trees on my property. Two companies showed up in clean/well kept trucks and very professional. The third one came in Range Rover/all murdered out and with 20 Inch wheels. He was young and dressed like he is going on a date and just stopped by to give me a quote. Even though he was pleasant to talk to, his attitude was unprofessional. Of course, I picked up one of the guys who came in the truck and looked more professional.

greenfire likes this.
  5. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Member

When I roofed we rolled around in a Ford Econoline. Enough room for a big crew, equipment, and a modest amount of material in the back. It was also capable of pulling a trailer for tear offs or jobs that we couldn't get materials delivered to.

6. stringfellohawk

stringfellohawk LawnSite Senior Member

How is someone pleasant to talk but also has an unprofessionalattitude? Was he a little sheepish? Lacked confidence? I would have picked his brain a little bit. Maybe he climbs trees like a monkey and is like a samurai with a chainsaw. The range Rover could have been the fruits of his labor. I only say this because I do know some quirky people that just happen to be extremely good at what they do.

...but I digress. First impressions are everything and perception is reality.

7. N0cturnal12

It's difficult to explain - but, basically he was respectful, yet very immature. Instead of answering my questions with details I asked for, he said "my crew will take care of it". He complemented me on my 5. 11 shirt and car, and other chit-chat sounded like he was patronizing me. He may be trying to build a "rapport", but it didn't come out the like that.

Whereas, others gave me the answers with confidence and it was easy to tell that they have done it themselves, at least 100s of times.

8. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I can relate to this.

Your initial post, came off quirky. I read it (2) times trying to figure out what was wrong!

I have a competitor that is quite the salesman. He has only been in this business for (2) years. Prior to this he sold real estate, and then he was in the website and SEO design / maintain business. I mean, literally, he could sell you an ocean front property in Arizona. Whatever question a homeowner asks him - he does the same thing - "we'll take care of it" and then he quickly changes the subject. Whatever the question - he simply answers with what you want to hear, but offers no explanation, details, etc. And believe it or not - homeowners really do pick up on that. It scares them away.

I make it a point to allow a homeowner to speak. I do not interrupt them. Sometimes they go on for 3-4 minutes and I'll have to jot down notes so I can respond. And when I answer them, I am as transparent as can be. I do not dance around their questions / concerns.

We work in the DC Metro area. Everyone there is a lawyer. So they quickly pick up on when you do not answer their questions. They quickly pick up on you dancing around their concerns. So this is how I work: I assume everyone is a lawyer and that they're observing my words, body language, etc.

9. N0cturnal12

I am from DC Metro area and have worked in Law Firms. :laugh::laugh:

10. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Job I picked up last year was for a lawyer, the guy took notes the entire time, even to the point of exact time I arrived and vehicle I arrived in. They were one of my nicest clients last year.

hort101 likes this.