The permagreen went beyond the call of duty this summer.

OP
Hineline

Hineline

LawnSite Bronze Member
We started getting hit hard with crab by the third week of July. The NS was earlier in June. All problem yards get back to back prevention. Some of those even gave out in August in thin areas.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Hineline, very creative. You are amazing! Back to back--do you mean blanket aps of crabgrass pre?
What product are you using?
Do you need a higher rate of crabgrass control? April and June treatments? ( Just for problem lawns.)

Amazing setup. Do the auxiliary tanks have their own electric pumps? Their own hand wands? For crab and nutsedge, right? Drive the lawn and spot spray--what is your technique?

Wait--the Magnum has no electric--am I right?
Does this mean you have to use the main pump? And the trim nozzle?
Does this mean you have to switch tanks and go around the yard again for nutsedge?

Last edited:
OP
Hineline

Hineline

LawnSite Bronze Member
Hineline, very creative. You are amazing! Back to back--do you mean blanket aps of crabgrass pre?
What product are you using?
Do you need a higher rate of crabgrass control? April and June treatments? ( Just for problem lawns.)

Amazing setup. Do the auxiliary tanks have their own electric pumps? Their own hand wands? For crab and nutsedge, right? Drive the lawn and spot spray--what is your technique?

Wait--the Magnum has no electric--am I right?
Does this mean you have to use the main pump? And the trim nozzle?
Does this mean you have to switch tanks and go around the yard again for nutsedge?
We mounted a 12v Duracell gel under the right side green molded piece that sits just next to the hopper and run a 115 psi for crab and a 60 psi for NS. We also came off the dump valve with a gun for 3-way a long time ago. As you can see we valved our crab and nut to one gun also. The permagreen sucks for this kind of auxiliary spraying because of the steering etc but it's better than going back to the truck for backpacks. I love my zero turn with the bigger auxiliary tanks and one handed steering. It's a battle tank!

OP
Hineline

Hineline

LawnSite Bronze Member
Also, on yards with a history and new yards if possible we start with a full rate of Prodiamine on round one then full rate of Dimension round two. We also make sure we have Quin at the ready if we start seeing baby crab on round two.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Why didn't Permagreen think of this? Crabgrass and nutsedge; they are everywhere. Really really old Permagreens have 12 volt electric current available. Like my old PG Ultra. And Steelgreens,too, right?
In fact--if you have an inverter--you can have 110 volt plug-in power.
https://www.amazon.com/Foval-Power-...rds=inverter+/+charger&qid=1568560869&sr=8-26
I would not use that much pressure for auxiliary spraying. 20 psi should be fine for crabgrass and nutsedge.
It would be tempting to hang a couple electric backpacks on the machine somewhere. Maybe one on your back and one in the hopper.
Who says you cannot drive with one hand? I moved the throttle to the left hand side of my PG Ultra. I don't remember why. This would mean you can use a spray wand with the right hand.
Unless are left-handed.

Last edited:
OP
Hineline

Hineline

LawnSite Bronze Member
We upped our pressures so we could move quickly through properties. We had 35 psi on the machines but it just took to long. 115 is a bit much for individual plants but for larger areas we can thoroughly spray out swaths very quickly using a 25 degree nozzle. I know we used more product but time is money and we made quick work of it.