Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
Banned
5,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a walker and sold it w/in 2 months b/c I THINK they suck. And here are the top ten reasons why you SHOULD NOT buy one.

1. Mowers cannot hold a hill even a very SLIGHT incline!!
2. Tires cannot go up a slight wet incline.
3. Yellow paint chips easily and mower loses its value quickly.
4. The machine is fragile and you would not want to even touch rough terrain w/ it.
5. The hydros are prone to go out.
6. Engines last about half as long as engines on midmounts.
7. Ground speed is low.
8. Have fun changing deck height w/ four pins.
9. Take up a lot of trailer space.
10. Mower basically cannot mow wet grass - clogs, tires have no traction.

I bought a walk-behind and lost $800 on my Walker. If you mow commercially I don't know how you can get anything done w/ those things. I could not cut 20 yards a day w/ a Walker like I can w/ my chopper. I did not even save any trim time w/ my Walker. Even the smaller yards, my chopper was quicker. No more yellow paint for me!!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Yep I know dozens of lcos down here that just can't get rid of em.
Conditions in Australia are pretty rough and the Walkers just arn't built well enough to handle our extremes. The only yellow paint i'll touch is GD.

·
Registered
191 Posts
the mowers can hold hills you just have to know how. I've held a 30* hill and i've only been using one for this summer.

Try going up the hills backwards. the weight from the grass catcher and the engine will then be put on the drive wheels...otherwise they're on the rear caster...doesn't do much help.

never had paint chipping problem. one of our machines at work is 5 years old and the paint damage on it is on the sides of the decks...don't know any mower that doesn't do that unless you like put a spray on bedliner all over it....hmm...good idea right there...

We drive them off of curbs at full speed and nothing has ever bent,broken or even showed signs of damage. You just think it's fragile cuz the deck actually rides on the front casters and your feet are resting on it.. Mid mounts hang from the frame.

the same 5 year old walker at work has never had any hydro problems on it with 1000 hours. just change hydro fluid as you're supposed to and it'll last very long time.

once again...the 5 year old walker at work has same engine with 1000 hours...runs just as good as the two new ones we got this season with 250 hours.

Customers around here seem to think that fast mowers are bad mowers. Walker's GHS need a certain speed to suck stuff up how they're supposed to. If it's to slow they have speed up kits that i think increase the top speed by2 mph or so.

Almost all walk-behind decks are more difficult to change then your standard mid-mount ZTR's deck. In the recent Walker Talkmagazine the enginerring crew at Walker just came out with a single lever heigh adjuster for the Walkers as an option or add-on.

Put the deck up to save space...try parking it crooked....try backing it onto the trailer instead of making it go forward.

Never had a clogging problem in wet grass....maybe you should try slowing down and raising the deck. Were you using racing slicks for tires? Never had a problem with ours keeping traction in wet grass. Mid-mounts can tear turf up as well if you're not careful.

two months is not enough time to learn how to properly use a walker. Yes, they are more complicated then your standard w/b or mid-mount ztr but with proper tuning and care i think they'll make any yard look better then any other mower straight from the factory. They already stripe nice so you don't have to spend extra money on a striping kit. Don't have to pay hundreds to add a bagger cuz they already have one. Sorry they didn't work out for you...I love em.

·
Banned
5,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2 months not enough time learn to operate one? well that makes training just about impossible. Walker are not productive mowers. My chopper cut and walker cut are identical. Walkers are not efficient. If you want to make alot of money, midmounts are the way to go.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Whatever dude. I wouldn't take $500 more that what I paid for mine.

I love my Walker.

Just because the conditions in your neck of the woods aren't favorable to Walkers Downs't mean it's a crappy mower.

Buy and use what you like, don't bother bashing those that you don't.

Walker must be doing something right. They just more than doubled their manufacturing facilities.

They are among the only mower brands that are shipped overseas.

Ever seen a Dixie, Toro or an Exmark overseas? I could be wrong but I've never seen one, I have Walkers.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Green pastures I live in Australia matey. We have TORO, GD, SCAG,FERRIS,EXMARK just to name a few. And we can think there crap if we want. If your mower didn't preform the way you wanted it to i am sure you would not be impresed either. I am sure your walker is great for your properties but not for others.

·
Banned
656 Posts
I used to run 2 Walker GHS. They are now both semi-retired. Why?

Bagging is redundant when you can mulch.

The GHS never did perform well in long wet grass which is the only time I really needed to bag.

The Mulch & Discharge decks don't compare to a good WB or ZTR for pure cutting capability.

They were eXpensive to Repair & Were somewhat more difficult to maintain. To their credit repairs were few & far between.

I still use them occasion in late fall or early Spring But will never buy another unless they Pump up the HP on that Funky Walker WB Tractor.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Man I dont know what your talking about.
Walkers can not be compared to a chopper, your talking about a mower that needs to be out cutting hog farms, not some well kept residental home.
You need to compare apples to apples.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Lawnworks I couldn't agree with you more. The Walker is a very, very HIGH maintainence machine--no ifs, ands or buts about it. If you can't learn to operate a machine in two months than there is something wrong with the machine.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The truth about Walkers

Have 3 of them and the place where I work just bought 2 a little over 200 hours ago. Already have mowed more grass in a 8 hour period than they every did with a belly mount. Better looking cut also. Every mower has it good points and bad. There is no best mower for every job. If there was nobody would have 2 or 3 different ones on their trailer.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
I do not see one thing on your list that is true based on my 7 years experience as a Walker owner. I would say you were not experienced enough to know how to use the Walker properly. Also, from the mechanical problems you mention, I would have to say you or your employes do not know how to operate or maintain them. I have one machine with 900hrs and one with 1500hrs. both run perfect, have required no major repairs, and when washed, look nearly like new. Next time you have one that you want to give away cheap, let me know.:D

·
LawnSite Addict
1,405 Posts
Originally posted by ULTIMATE LAWN

The GHS never did perform well in long wet grass which is the only time I really needed to bag.

I still use them occasion in late fall or early Spring But will never buy another unless they Pump up the HP on that Funky Walker WB Tractor.
I remember reading another forum and thread where you said you had to get rid of them due to a "no clippings" law. No more bagging. So? Which is it? Dont say you use it for leaves only, cause that's BS.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Originally posted by ULTIMATE LAWN

The Mulch & Discharge decks don't compare to a good WB or ZTR for pure cutting capability.

They were eXpensive to Repair & Were somewhat more difficult to maintain. To their credit repairs were few & far between.

Why is it that in the 3+ year you have been on this forum, untill recentlly you just started to say you had Walker mowers?

That camera you got don't take pics of those mowers eh?

·
Registered
1,910 Posts

We'llll I may not not know ALL that it is to know about Walkers ... I do have 4 of em .... 3 with over 2400+ hrs ..... I replaced 1 hydro after 1800 hrs ....my newest has (not 1 of the 4) ...has 640 hrs since 8/2002 .... the "hill" in the photo is cut with a Walker .....

this photo
the 2nd photo shows

shows of the 120 yards we cut in this HOA in under 10 Hrs total cut time .... with .....a .... Walker

.... OH Ya I also run Exmark Lazer's 60" on the Larger stuff

All good things in all good times ..... tools are only as good as the job givin' ;->

Our conditions over here are .... HOTT .... MOIST n Hot .... we cut 42 times yearly .... week n & week out .... in the rain ....n in the Heat n in the Dust .... may not be like "down under".... but 90's by 9am is "normal" in the "growin" season ..... yes they have LOTS's of grease fittings ..... but other than .... change oil, filter n blades I have seen no more so than my Lazer's

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Originally posted by greenman
I remember reading another forum and thread where you said you had to get rid of them due to a "no clippings" law. No more bagging. So? Which is it? Dont say you use it for leaves only, cause that's BS.
If you didn't know, here's UL's own words. I guess nothing is green related.........

QUOTE]Originally posted by ULTIMATE LAWN
It's almost a fatal Attraction with some, which is why I prefer to post as much disinformation, & non-information on Matters that are Not Green Industry Related. [/QUOTE]

·
Registered
36 Posts
Fantasy Lawns said it right
Those pictures show where a Walker mower belongs, you would not want to bring in some big huge chopper or mid mount and tear up the yard.
Great looking work "Fantasy Lawns"
If you keep up your maintatance on the mowers like you are supposed to you will not have problems.
Im not saying that there are no other mowers other than Walker,
we have many different kinds. But each mower is designed for certain applications.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Its too bad that you didn't get the expected results from a Walker. That is your opinion on them and you feel strongly, I can accept that.

I am not gonna agree with you but I do know that certain machines either fit people or they don't. My question to you is did you demo a Walker on your properties before you bought it?

I have been demoing larger production mowers like Exmark, Hustler and Ferris to name a few. I can tell you one thing, yes they all cut cut grass and on the surface look similar but each machine performs differently on the lawns.

A mower has to fit YOUR application. A Walker fits mine but obviously not yours. I personally don't like the feel of a Chopper, they don't work for my properties.

One question for the man who says Walkers are high maintenance? Can I ask why you think that? Can you give me specific examples? I say this because I have owned a Walker since 1998 and aside from a Kohler problem with the 25 engine I have had no high maintenance problems.

A word of advice for the future; mower brands are personal decisions and when you come across as saying a brand "sucks" some people take that as personal. I am sorry that Walkers didn't work for you, it may have been a poor decision on your part but hopefully you are back on track and have learned a thing or two by the experience.

1 - 20 of 197 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.