1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

The Use of Dicamba in GMO Causing Major Problems

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Hineline, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Hineline

Hineline LawnSite Senior Member

KerbDMK likes this.
  2. walkinonwater27

walkinonwater27 LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

I saw a soybean farmer in Kansas on the new this morning, blaming his crop loss on "global warming" and all the rain its brought this season. id say this is much more plausible than overwatering due to global warming. you can only genetically modify genes so much before there so mutated you've ruined the original genetics. hopefully people start to gear towards organic farming and learn new methods to keep weeds down without constantly spraying our countries food source with chemicals. organic farming is very possible it just takes a different approach.

hort101 likes this.
  3. walkinonwater27

walkinonwater27 LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

hopefully these people haven't completely trashed there soil for decades

hort101 likes this.
  4. KerbDMK

KerbDMK LawnSite Bronze Member

Sadly, science has become so corrupted by politics these days it's very difficult for anybody to find out what's really true any more.

turfmd101, hort101, GoPappy and 2 others like this.
  5. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

Boy, ain't that a fact!! With so many "sources" at our fingertips it's hard to tell what to believe. I found this website to be helpful in grading media sources' credibility.
    https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/reveal-center-for-investigative-reporting/

6. KerbDMK

hort101 likes this.
  7. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

Check the site out.

Everyone is right some of the time, everyone is wrong some of the time.
    I don't think there is an ultimate truth, but there are plenty of lies.
    We are in desperate need of finding common ground for humanity to grow on.

foreplease, turfmd101 and hort101 like this.
  8. KerbDMK

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying that this and/or all fact checkers are worthless or anything, just that you also need to be careful of some fact checkers as well.

I briefly checked this one out and found the search function to be a little clunky. if you type in "realclearscience.com" it won't find any results, but if you manually scroll through the list in each category you can find it.

While this fact checker puts MSNBC in the "Left Bias" column, and Fox News in the "Right Bias" column, The discussion of Fox News is much more critical of Fox News than it is of MSNBC.

Otherwise, I mostly agree with you, but I do believe in an ultimate truth. :)

jonthepain likes this.
  9. Hineline

Hineline LawnSite Senior Member

Another article. There might not be a way to relate this to our use of Dicamba but it is very interesting to see how the herbicide reacts when used exclusively on a mass scale. High heat and humidity apparently creates major volatility with the chemical. Reports of seeing off-target damage has been observed up to 3/4's of a mile.
    https://www.deltafarmpress.com/weeds/dicamba-drift-problems-not-aberration

It will be interesting to see what happens with these trade deals and tariffs as it relates to GMO soybean and soy farmers. The US soy industry built a great business model that is getting crushed right now.

KerbDMK and hort101 like this.
  10. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

You can push the limits horticulturally for a plant or crop
    but growing a monoculture in challenge to mother nature is a loosing battle imo and experience