Lawn Care Forum banner

The way FL does it

31K views 567 replies 23 participants last post by  FLwater 
#1 ·
Just thought I’d give you Yankees a laugh. DBY’s who needs em, run out of wire nuts? Just bury it. No white wire, just use red. 1 screw is all you need to hang a clock. Who knows why the mag starter doesn’t work? Bubblers make great spray heads. Deep valves ? Safety first. Anyway enjoy.

Attachments

See less See more
#383 ·
I have been meaning to get around to this for a while. My truck stays a wreck and it is irritating. Anyway, just an idea for those running out of a pickup. This was made with 2x8 and 2x6 but works with 2x6 and 2x4. Cost of lumber, screws, liquid nail, caster, etc was $300. Not exactly cheap, but I have ruined at least 5 cans of glue/primer this year when they get rained on. Not completely organized yet.
Motor vehicle Plant Bumper Wood Automotive tire
Tire Car Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle

#394 ·
This is my first 2wire install. I had subbed this job out, but the construction company has this job so screwed up that my buddy said F that, he put in 6 PERFECT zones and walked away. 13/26 zones in and everything works.

- the Ez-DT is well worth the money.

- yes the controller is crooked, hardest post I’ve ever drilled into. It will get fixed when I run the back wire.

- yes , the wire and conduit from the well guy will get cleaned up. For $33k , that was a sloppy ass conduit job.
Electrical wiring Gas Cable Machine Electrical supply
Plant Vertebrate Grass Terrestrial plant Terrestrial animal
Helmet Plant Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar Grass
Plant community Plant Gas Tree Public utility

#398 ·
#396 ·
One of the worst intake jobs my guys have ever done. Did not prime the pump , did not check to ensure flow, with 40’ of 3” line full of air, just turned the clock on and walked away. Did not even fill the hole. To say I was ticked at 4:00 and an hour away is an understatement :poop: !!! ( yeah, they were in and gone at 3:00)

Water Plant Natural environment Vegetation Lake
Plant Flower Vegetation Grass Groundcover

#401 ·
4 days to do 7 - 2” zones , because “ we have to get our CO”

Maybe not a big deal for some y’all but we don’t do installs. Me and 1-2 guys. I did have 7 of the maintenance guys to dig trenches last Saturday so that helped a lot. Thank gosh for Fl sand.

- Note : all of the sidewalks are not in :rolleyes:
Building Automotive tire Plant Road surface Asphalt
I’m
Bedrock Landscape Soil Pollution Rock
Window Asphalt Road surface Grass Landscape
Bedrock Terrain Formation Geological phenomenon Landscape
Asphalt Road surface Tar Parallel Tints and shades
Road surface Asphalt Tar Grass Sidewalk
Water Bedrock Formation Geological phenomenon Soil
Road surface Asphalt Tar Bedrock Slope

#412 ·
Sometimes you just can’t pay enough for people to give a ****. This job was done, sod went down Thursday , sent 2guys, 2 trucks to nozzle 1 zone and adjust everything. Of course I did not specifically say “CLEAN UP” , so they didn’t. 4:00 on Friday ole Jimmy is cleaning up. :mad:
So was that your own crew? I'm not a business owner- but the company manager. I spent years dealing with this kind of crap- I was soft , kind and reasonable... And the saying goes " If it's not you, then who? Because it always seems that my expectations of what cleaniness is to the next person, and proper effort of installation... We are far different! There is only a couple that I allow now, because ( And I'm not trying to insult them) I just don't think their brains work well enough as no matter how many times I show, explain and provide reasoning- they can't do what I show them. These days.. I set a much more clear expectation with not much room for variations- and no one can complain because I'm right there doing it too. Truth is they get 95% done correctly but the fine finesse work they can't do. Sometimes spending that extra hour or two fixing their goof ups isn't worth the conversation.. If they aren't going to see it for themselves, they never will no matter how much I share / show/ explain.... It's that 5% that I personally need to remind myself to not negate the 95% of job well done.

#418 ·
Thats how the install went at my house about 10 years ago.

I spent more time bailing water from its clay trench than anything else.

That was once of those weathers when one's hands would remain wet all day long, sort of like when you've been in the swimming pool for a long period of time.

Not my favorite several days, yet here i am on the dry other side of it.

That too shall pass. (y)

#419 ·
Thats how the install went at my house about 10 years ago.

I spent more time bailing water from its clay trench than anything else.

That was once of those weathers when one's hands would remain wet all day long, sort of like when you've been in the swimming pool for a long period of time.

Not my favorite several days, yet here i am on the dry other side of it.

That too shall pass. (y)
Around 3”(this is a SWAG) in an hour and a half. It was ugly yesterday. Managed to get enough done today to plant tomorrow so 🤷‍♂️

I knew I put the valves somewhere :LOL:
Electric blue Grass Rope Soil Circle

#421 ·
There are 20 or so wires here. Multiple commons both red and white. Multiple zone wires both red and white. They have been on top of the ground in the back of this property for years due to erosion on the slope. Granted , I should have scheduled time to bury them that’s on me. BUT!!! It’s 2 1/2 hours away and we have 6 properties to run through in 2 days. Anyway found this today, my always impeccable maintenance crews ran them right the F*** over with the mower. Sometime in the last 2 months. “ I forgot to tell you “ was the excuse.
Plant Grass Terrestrial plant Groundcover Flowering plant
Plant Road surface Grass Asphalt Groundcover

#423 ·
There are 20 or so wires here. Multiple commons both red and white. Multiple zone wires both red and white. They have been on top of the ground in the back of this property for years due to erosion on the slope. Granted , I should have scheduled time to bury them that’s on me. BUT!!! It’s 2 1/2 hours away and we have 6 properties to run through in 2 days. Anyway found this today, my always impeccable maintenance crews ran them right the F*** over with the mower. Sometime in the last 2 months. “ I forgot to tell you “ was the excuse.
Only so many hours in a day and only so many odds and ends one can get to. If it was Longwood Gardens and rare specimen plants were at stake, yeah, big problem. If it’s weed salad that just needs a drink to stay its weedy green, no biggie. I would fault the crew dude who didn’t tell anybody. Break what you have to so the jobs keep movin’ but own what you break so it doesn’t just make it all worse (nobody gets upset about a broken wire; lots of people get upset about dead landscape and possibly a burned out well pump). On the upside, you get to train some of your crew on how to use a locator and multimeter to sort out a huge puzzle lol.