1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

The "We just want you to get us started for the year" kind of people

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Wilson Edge, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Wilson Edge

Wilson Edge LawnSite Member

I know that i have had problems with this but i want to hear your stories and solutions. Every year about 3-4 weeks up to 10 weeks into the season. I always get a call from some person saying they just want me to come One time and get there lawn started for them. I get this all the time but have created a solution for it. Depending on how bad it is or how long since the last mow. I usualy quote it for 3 times the normal price. Or i give them the option to get it mowed for the regular price. and sign a year contract. What do you guys do in this situation?

2. Dave_005

Dave_005 LawnSite Senior Member

when they ask me for a "one time only cut" to get them started i simply say no thanks, i'm not interested,. the same when someone asks me if i will come only when they call. No thanks, I'm not interested. i do weekly cuts and once in a while i may accept a bi-weekly but not often.

3. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I would do the job but charge about 50% more than I normally would.

4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Ditto! If you have time, why wouldn't you do it?

5. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

yep, 1 time cuts always charge extra.

6. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

How come overgrown 1-time lawns are the ones with hidden treasures...like a rollerskate or a brick? :laugh: :dizzy: :hammerhead:

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I only do them now under the following conditions...

1- A neighbor of a customer (I'm right there anyway)

2- During a drought when things are slow

3- As a favor for another LCO, if I can fit iit into my schedule that week.

8. willjones4

willjones4 LawnSite Member

pfft! Yall go ahead and leave them out there, I'll scoop them up. If its a little overgrown I'll just charge more. That one time money spends the same as regularly scheduled money!
    I hope I can one day turn down work, but right now Im taking on all I can get.

9. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Not in my business plan. I don't need that kind of abuse on my equipment, and I only want full service accounts with ferts and apps. Sure, you can pick up a quick couple of bucks, but that won't build your business.

If I think I have a chance of converting them to full service, then I might do it, but otherwise, I don't want it. I could use that hour putting out door hangers.... and maybe get a $1500 yearly account out of it instead.

I try to stay focused... and follow my business plan.

10. tennesseelawnguy

tennesseelawnguy LawnSite Member

I don't bother with one time deals now. Years ago when i first started i did quite a few like that and my experiences were not all that great. It sucks to charge $80 for what would normally be a $30 yard and then hit a stump or toy or worse and then spend hundreds on a new spindle. just say no thanks and find a better customer.