1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

The Worst

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by tiedeman, Nov 6, 2005.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Figures that during a busy time of the year when people are calling my phone for estimates I have a horrible static problem, almost to the point where you can not hear the other person. Most of been from the lightening storm last night.

I wonder how many people I will lose because of this?

2. derek1

derek1 LawnSite Member

Can you forward the phone to a cell phone? that may work temporarily

3. tiedeman

from earth

that is why I am thinking about doing. If I can remember how to do the call forwarding on my phone. It's like either *21 or *22, or something

4. derek1

derek1 LawnSite Member

Troy call the phone or look in the front of the phone book usually it is there.

Derek

5. derek1

derek1 LawnSite Member

phone company that is and the front of the phone book my fingers were moving faster than my brain,

6. jimmbo407

jimmbo407 LawnSite Member

I made the mistake of having a cell phone as my business phone. I have problems all the time. Nextel is terrible. I have lost customers due to this. I hope I can take my number and make it a land line for the business. Has that worked for other,s having a cell phone as the primary business line?

7. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

Works for me. Probably not for a huge operation. OF course a huge operation has a big shop & phone lines so they are set up differently. I like being able to return a call within an hour or 2. WIth a land line I would have to wait till I got home to return calls. By then 80% of people will have called around. That = lost income potential.:waving:

8. tiedeman

from earth

I tried the whole cell phone as the main number with Nextel this last August, just to try out. What a nightmare!!!! I was never getting work done because people were always calling it, my voice mail ring tone was constantly going off, it was horrible. After a month, I told of my customers to just keep on calling me on the land line instead.

By the way, SBC got my phone fixed today. Thank god too because I had three people call me

9. tiedeman

from earth

Yes good point. I do admit that I did land more work with the cell phone because I was able to return the calls right then and there, but it was slowing my work up during the day.

10. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

I try to call back while driving or waiting for my helper to finish up. When driving I can record the conversation with my voice recorder or get them to call back immediately with an address on my voice mail. I can usually get directions via the net with an address.