Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know about you guys who say you can't make millions in this, you guys are WRONG!! There are numerous companys in the US that make millions. ( I will be 1 of those) So go on and leave this industry so it will be easier for me. But on all seriousness you have to have a vision in any business you own.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
IN2MOWING said:
Theres plenty of money in this field and its all out there waiting to be made. The problem is most people think all they need is a trailer and mower. Those are the people in for a rude awakeaning.
I have realized that. But not the scrubs with murray pushers.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Biggest problem in growing a company is finding GOOD help. This will make you or break you. If you are able to find goof reliable help then you will be fine. Though like others say, there are many other factors that determine success as any other business.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
19 yrs old and 9 yrs experience. Yep, you are on your way to a million. Let me know when you make a million, by the way, that is YOU make a million. Big difference in gross of a million and making a million.

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
65hoss said:
19 yrs old and 9 yrs experience. Yep, you are on your way to a million. Let me know when you make a million, by the way, that is YOU make a million. Big difference in gross of a million and making a million.
I always like the "older" guys on here.

I remember when I was 18-19, after mowing for a "job" for 2-3 years. I had plans to be mowing every single property in Minnesota.

Now I mow my 37-38 year after year and go to sleep happy at night.

·
Registered
988 Posts
65hoss said:
Took the words right out of my mouth.
People can talk big all they want, but the actual production is where it matters.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will let you know when I do. Oh yeah demo a hustler, yeah yeah I know the 31hp gas is the real deal. But try the hustler, well tell your father to try the hustler. Yall will like it a bit better than the exmark, so I think.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Catos said:
I will let you know when I do. Oh yeah demo a hustler, yeah yeah I know the 31hp gas is the real deal. But try the hustler, well tell your father to try the hustler. Yall will like it a bit better than the exmark, so I think.
Thanks but I know more about the Hustlers and the guys at Hustler than you may think. Top notch and great equipment. So I don't really need you to explain that to me. I did the field testing for Hustler last year on the new w/b mowers. Yes, me...an exmark user. Guess they thought I was up to the task. They brought it to me from the factory to Memphis in their Hustler enclosed trailer and left it with me for the season.

Oh and by the way, my dad died in 2001, so I will continue to make my business decisions myself. Thanks for asking though. :sleeping:

·
Registered
743 Posts
S man said:
I have realized that. But not the scrubs with murray pushers.
Your one to be talking. :)

·
Registered
540 Posts
Hey, if you think you can make a million bucks after expenses in this business, then go for it. For me, getting rich with lawns is just not the right fit. I wish to pursue other opportunities that are more interesting... and easier, which meet certain other criteria. Being chained to a lawn care operation, and all of the stress and hassle that a large lawn care operation creates... it just isn't for me.

For you guys who can go big-time with lawns, that would be an impressive accomplishment.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Catos said:
I eat sleep and talk grass!!
and smoke it apparently......
:)

sorry, couldn't resist.

to make it BIG, you need a recipe that you can plug in any idiot off the street and they can be productive in mowing lawns.
Like McDonalds.

I don't know if it can be done in this industry.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I don't even have a trailer yet and need more good equipment...it takes time, and I did not want to take out a loan...from my work last month, I was able to buy a Stihl FS110R and the month before I bought a Stihl BG85C handheld blower...I do need in the future a bigger blower for the big stuff, and the stubborn debris...I have a personal pace Toro 22" that I bought used for 200 dollars...it has lasted me all season, but I know I will need something better later...I don't consider myself a scrub, as I am working towards good equipment...I started out lowballing, but quickly stopped it and adjusted my prices to the market value they should be at...charge the most people will pay...lowballers out there really need to know who they are screwing--themselves and others...later...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well let me tell yall my plans......I have 2 more semesters left in school, my

degree is landscape design and grounds miantenance, I figure then I can

present a little credibilty. Go for the higher paying commercial places. Do

the same methods as spraying lawns (like chemlawn), also do various

landscape services besides mowing( such as installation, ground

covers,landscape lighting, etc). Because most of your money is not in the

mowing part. I'm just in progress of trying to turn my company now into a

complete landscape company now. I do installation and mowing but thats it,

because good help is hard to find and you all know that much. I'm just

trying and shooting to make it big, "change your mind, change your world",

just going to school and this work is what is the killer. But all honesty I'm

not just all talk like some of you guys are saying with all that jabber

·
Registered
392 Posts
I don't understand why you would want to make a statement like this thread. Making a million in this business is so high of a goal for anyone, whether 19 yrs. old or 40 yrs. old. Why stick your foot in your mouth on a "professional" forum?

I have been in business since 1991. I have had very good years and very bad years, but never have grown to anymore than 150,000 gross. I know my area has alot to do with it.

I wish the "kids" would just be quiet on this forum. I started out when I was 21 and pretty much kept quiet for quite awhile before shooting my mouth off. It just shows what kind of attitude the younger generation has; "Get out of my way, I have a plan and no one is telling me different."

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.