1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

There's a learning curve!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Recoveryman, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Recoveryman

Recoveryman LawnSite Member

Well...I got my Scag Tiger Cat 2 home this afternoon. The dealer put it on my car trailer to get it home, a trailer with a ramp gate is the next purchase. It took me a short while to get it off without falling off the car ramps. Once on the ground it was time for the shake down ride, first time on a O turn. Man! there's a learning curve to going straight and turning when one wants at speed. My brain is delayed telling my arms what to do at the right time! I have not hit anything, I started my ride in the middle of the acer front yard. I got better after playing for a while but I would not want to race one of you guys just yet!
    Here's my mower... Front Mower.jpg

GrassManKzoo and Mow-Daddy.com like this.
  2. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Yes there is, but you’ll get it figured out and realize how much quicker it isn’t than a traditional mower.

My father in law went through the same thing. He bought a little toro zturn....got it home....took it for its first ride.....and almost returned the thing. He hated it that much.

RDALawns and That Guy Gary like this.
  3. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Senior Member

Gotta say I prefer the steering sticks and forward speed control on front mounts to the sticks on a mid mount ztr but you will get used too it.

I didn't like the foot switch on our Exmark aerator when we first got it either but you just gotta get out there and use it, eventually the controls become instinctive.

RDALawns likes this.
  4. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Texas

I was running skid steers and other equipment such as dozers and track hoes long before I ever set on a ztr. But you are right it is a learning curve . You will figure it out quickly.

That Guy Gary likes this.
  5. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

Too late to edit my post, but obviously I meant to say “how much faster it IS”

6. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Jersey

It's not that it isn't, it is that it is not :dizzy:.

Mark Stark likes this.
  7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Skid steers of the H type steering worked with more “muscle” than Ztrs did at the time
    The muscle memory/reflex was different so the learning curve was still there.
    Now skid steers are mostly joystick and operating them isn’t related to ztrs any more