Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I look in my local rag (newspaper) classified section and I see another ad for people claiming to be lawncare companies (really guys with a mower and very little knowledge or commitment) advertising that they will do everything (mow, trim, edge, blow, weed, leaf cleanup and removal from site) for $35 with no size restrictions. I know, I know, we call these jerks and scrubs and I know they are not making money but they are killing me. I am often asked about these guys and advise my customers if they hire them to do all these services for $35 they are going to get a lousy job. I have a friend with a 5 acre lot and I am trying to get him to call one of these scrubs and spend the best $35 of his life.

Sorry, just venting...........................:mad:

· Registered
3,935 Posts
There's a guy around here that advertises $25 mowing and $25 clean ups, any size lots. He also prints his own signs on torn cardboard with magic marker and nails them to telephone poles. Kinda indicative of his work, no?

· Registered
125 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I agree with all of you , but I'm getting sick of seeing all of the scrubs get all the work. All this scrub vs. professional is bull$%*#. It is getting hard to swallow when my 2 year old is going hungry. I had a customer "show me the door" because he got a mower and cut it himself, rather than pay me. I know he will not get the same results, but it doesn't matter, he is still gone. It's hard to see a Buick towing a Crapsman working, when your sitting at home collecting your thoughts with the best commercial equipment ,.

· Banned
9,013 Posts
I have just come to learn that they individuals come and go every year, some don't even last the whole year. You just have to keep a professional attitude and educate your customers on choosing a proper lawn care company.
But like I have always said, a customer that chooses another LCO only price, is a customer that I don't want to have in the first place

· Registered
1,613 Posts
I'm thinking of subbing out all of my leaf removals to one of those $35 scrubs. I have one account that's 4+ acres with oak, maple and magnolia trees galore. He'll spend a week on that one for $35. Have him sign an agreement before showing him the property stating that if he fails to complete the job he has to pay me at my rates (100/hr). Let's see how long he stays in business.

· Registered
376 Posts
Best ad I've seen yet, the headline "I'll beat any price" on mowing edging, trimming, etc. think he'd do my yard and pay me??
Norm

· Banned
1,757 Posts
Are you going to worry about every stupid add that is put in the paper?

Are you going to worry about every flyer in your mail box showing they will cut for less than you?

Are you going to let them dictate what you think about everday?

Are going to let them create more stress for you?

· Registered
609 Posts
Originally posted by GLAN
Are you going to worry about every stupid add that is put in the paper?

Are you going to worry about every flyer in your mail box showing they will cut for less than you?

Are you going to let them dictate what you think about everday?

Are going to let them create more stress for you?
If your answer is YES to the above four questions, or at least one of them, you should'nt be in the lawn care business.
There is nothing as good for your business as good strong competition. It will make you grow as a business man and it will make your business stronger / wealthier.

DONT be too concerned about and too worried about these so-called "scrubs" (future LCO's) Not all of them will make a full time career out of it and the bigger gross of them will eventually (usually after the 1st season) fall off the bus.

Get focussed on your own operation, put your equipment to work and don't sit and watch the Buick's with the craftsmans drive by. They're make'n the bacon and you're not!

Good Luck
PC

· Registered
1,039 Posts
If a Buick pulls a Craftsman, they can call it B& C Lawn care and sell crack on the side in between mowing. You will really be out of luck then.

Seriously, The idea of someone pulling mowers with a car should threaten not one of your GOOD customers. However, if you are just starting out, they may well be a threat to you. It's the nature of the beast.

· Registered
1,084 Posts
That kind of people is the ones that will get you the best customers in the long run, they'll keep all those cheap, monthly bi-weekly, no trimming customers and you'll get the ones looking for dependable, reliable service with lot's of extras.

But you have to be prepare to catch'em don't just sit next to your phone waiting for them to call you.

· Registered
2,656 Posts
Hi all,

I know how you feel folks, I have the same drama in my area too as all areas would, blokes running around in old bombs towing an old rusty box trailer with an old mower and a few bags, rake etc, and they mow for $25 average for a quarter acrea block.

The same job my average fee is $66 AUD, 1 hour max, from start to finish, mulch clippings, clean up leaves, edges etc. And I use a Toro Z355, don't even use a push mower. I'm one of the dearest around, but the trick is speed, and neatness, and stay away from carting away from site unless the client is happy to pay for it.

These el 'cheapos still rattle my cage as naturally they are always busy, but their work quality isn't as good and many people don't know any better, e.g mowing is mowing isn't it? He is less than half my fee, how can I justify that!? Yeah, yeah, like every other who do this full time we hear this all the time, can only explain the differences, offer a guarantee, and see if you can break the nieve barrier.

Target the bigger jobs, ones too big for a push mower, but ones a cheap ride on won't handle, go for small acreges, this is where you lose a lot of the el cheapos, it's the only way I survived, find and create a niche, get known, this alone brings in work...people talk in these areas, townies don't as much and they are more blind about this industry than you think.

Commercial and Govn. work is more reliable and you need not think of these nutters working for beer money.

Quote: There is nothing as good for your business as good strong competition. It will make you grow as a business man and it will make your business stronger / wealthier.

A friendly comment to this statement....yes, you are right if comparing apples to apples, e.g pro to pro, this is good strong competition and once you get known by more collegues you find everyone is doing it as tough as you, take the good times with the bad, but if you offer premium services you can't be compared to a part timer who doesnt offer a complete lawn maintenance service, that's not apples for apples and I fail to see how these clowns can make you stronger, it means to get work you need to work cheap, doing so means you need to cut corners like them, do you really want to do this?

I say no, just target areas where you can stand out, up market areas, acreage, auction preperation, contracts.

At times these guys seem busier, only because they are slower.

They seem to flood the smaller job market of pensioners and low income, rental market etc, hey they can have em I say, easier work, better paying on the bigger jobs that they can't taint.

Just my 2 cents worth,

Tony,
Australia.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.