They almost got away with my rig

Discussion in 'Stolen Equipment' started by jlbf0786, Mar 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlbf0786

jlbf0786 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Charlotte, NC

Yesterday we were at a small HOA mowing their entrance, etc.. I was on a ztr and seen 3 little turds pull up beside my truck and one jumps out in an attempt to get my truck or take something out. Luckily, I seen them and yelled "nope, nope, nope you little.. so, and so'" and he quickly jumped back in the car and they hauled a$$ laughing and pointing at me : /

Anyway, it's the first time this kind of thing has ever happened in front of me. I got complacent by leaving my windows down, keys in ignition, equipment unlocked in the enclosed trailer (with the gate down) so I'm looking at buying a few retracting cable locks to attach to anything thats small enough to yank out quick.

Overall it was a learning experience that could've been much worse

2. Koehn's Lawn Service

Koehn's Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

I had a buddy of mine had his rig stolen trailer all equitment on trailer all but rhe walker he was on they found it later that evening they had used his cell phone that was in his truck my buddy was in colorado they already had a sale of all of it set up in California lucky they found it and he got it all back I set it up wen we are mowing my help or me is in front or back opposite each other so someone always has pickup and trailer in sight but that is on residential properties so someone is always got things in sight now on some of commercial props I always pull keys and lock doors but that doesn't meen they may not grab something off trailer a guy should rig it to about 1000 volts electricity than them suckers wouldn't try to take anything if they did would be the last time

Walker56 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    jlbf0786

Male, from Charlotte, NC

Lol.. that's an awesome idea. It reminds me of the YouTube vids where ppl make a electric mouse killing pad

Doc8406 likes this.
  4. Dawson

Dawson LawnSite Bronze Member

Umm? I'm glad you caught them before they got anything but you seriously leave your windows down and the keys in the ignition?
    If they had gotten away with your truck and equipment and you tried to claim that with your insurance company they might suspect you of insurance fraud because it seems like you're almost begging for it to get stolen?

5. Koehn's Lawn Service

Koehn's Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

I had another buddy that was mowing a commercial property and a man and woman team come pulling up in a van the guy jumped out to grab my buddies backpack my buddy hollered at him and started running towards him the guy went to get in the van my buddy got there was on other side of door and slammed the guys head in the door the guy managed to crawl in van while woman was driving away so they got away but I bet he had one heck of a headache good enough for him he's lucky that's all that happens because this buddy of mine isn't the guy you want to mess with he's a big boy and he would have beat the guy to a pulp I promise you that

6. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

I always leave the windows down in the summer because I hate getting back into a 140 degree vehicle. I don’t like dealing with keys either so often I toss them under the seat or the cup holder to make it less obvious. I often leave the key in my dump truck. I figure it’s not a high theft vehicle type and being a straight shift really cuts down on the would be thief’s.

JackMcCartin and Mark Oomkes like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    jlbf0786

Male, from Charlotte, NC

I like living dangerously

8. OP
    OP
    jlbf0786

Male, from Charlotte, NC

A fellow rebel.. " )

9. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

If you see the little turds again, I’m sure you know just what to do :weightlifter:

Walker56, hort101 and Doc8406 like this.
  10. Doc8406

Doc8406 LawnSite Fanatic

:nod:

Walker56 and JLSLLC like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.