1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

they asked for my tax i.d number

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by bobbygedd, May 11, 2002.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

just billed a commercial acount for the first time, and they would not issue a check until i gave them my tax i.d. number. i gave it to them without asking why, now im wondering y on earth they wanted it. anyone have a clue?

2. Probably for 1099 - I think they need to 1099 any vendor they pay over $600 per year. (amount may have changed)
    BTW most don't do the 1099s

3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Good for them I wish they ALL would :->

4. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm sure they just wanted your tax i.d. , so they can 1099 you.
    I put mine tax i.d # on all my invoices that are going out to commercial accounts. Just keeps them from having to ask for it.

Mike

5. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

Actually, by law if any payments are made to an unincorporated business or individual for more than $600 they have to issue a 1099. If they don't have a reporting number they are required to withold 20% for taxes.

Most companies ask for the id whether you are incoporated or not, just to keep their records simpler.
    \
    Doug Austreim

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

If your a sole proprietor, its your SSN.

7. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I am sure it was for the 1099. I had a new commercial this week, same story. NO check until they get the info.
    As for being a sole proprieter it is only your SSN. That is ONLY if you don't have employees. If you get employees you HAVE to have a employer I D for tax purposes. Personally the less I give out my SSN the better off I will be. Even tho this year I am not planning on hiring, I will continue to use the employer I D for these matters.

8. gusbuster

gusbuster LawnSite Bronze Member

Another reason you'll be asked for your tax id # is your clients liabilty isurance. Why, I don't know, but some of my commercial accounts ask for that reason.
    John

9. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

We have builders ask for our tax # and proof of insurance frequently. Stay away from the SSN thing for reasons listed previously.

10. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

As part of our commercial bid package, we include a completed IRS W-9 (www.irs.gov) . This is the form that most use to capture federal tax ID numbers and is a piece of cake to fill out. This allows them to set us up as a vendor without wasting time. This offsets the "we need to set you us as a vendor" then 2 months later a check finally comes our way.

jf