1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

They made me use red mulch

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by TheKingNJ, Jun 13, 2007.

1. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

I hate red mulch at residential houses, but when a customer insists on red mulch I work with certain plants that I think look better with it. So the other day I was just finishing a little install and the customer sees me and told me they changed their mind and want to go with red mulch. So I tried to talk them out of it but I they are the ones signing the check so I used red mulch. I THINK IT LOOKS AWEFULL!!

What do you think. I didn’t bother taking any pics of the front of the house because it is not going to make it in my portfolio of work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Folks either love it or hate it. There's almost no "middle ground" with dyed mulches, especially red. I just installed 33 yards in a nice golf course community home last Thursday and Friday. It looks "OK" but natural or even dyed brown or black would have been far better IMO.

I have learned to really seperate myself from what I think would be best when a customer is insistent on what they want. You hit the nail on the head when you said, "they are the ones signing the check." :)

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Former Moderator

We've installed red mulch before, but rarely, and only when asked. I think if red mulch is insisted upon being used, it looks "best" with a red brick house. Otherwise it even stands out worse than it already does.

4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

The house I did last week had a brick foundation but yellow siding.:dizzy:

5. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

I think it looked better like this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

The patio and pavers look great. I agree red looks tacky.

7. abloom

abloom LawnSite Member
    from zone 7

Red mulch should not exist!!!

8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Former Moderator

what about turquoise mulch. has anyone seen that? NOW that is hideous!

9. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Do you allways use the fabric when you mulch? Just curious..

10. JB1

JB1 LawnSite Fanatic

have you ever seen the blue or green mulch ?