They on\off switch stopped working on my edger today

Dawson

LawnSite Bronze Member
Shindaiwa 262le.

About halfway through my day today my Edger suddenly wouldn't shut off anymore so I just pulled off the plug boot to shut it off the rest of the day. Finally got time to look at it this evening and there's continuity on the wires all the way from the coil to the switch and the switch is working, all tested with a multimeter.
So I started it up with the wires disconnected from the coil and put a screwdriver across the two contacts on the coil and it still won't shut off?
Anyone else seen a coil fail that way? The machine still runs fine, I just can't short the coil anymore to shut it off?

Koehn's Lawn Service

LawnSite Senior Member
have you checked all your wires to make sure there are no bear wires anywhere and make sure no wires are pinched anywhere also. I myself would probably replace switch before the coil and try that first. Could be wiring issue somewhere

OP
D

Dawson

LawnSite Bronze Member
have you checked all your wires to make sure there are no bear wires anywhere and make sure no wires are pinched anywhere also. I myself would probably replace switch before the coil and try that first. Could be wiring issue somewhere
I checked all the wiring, it's fine, The wires have continuity all the way from the coil to the switch and the switch connects and disconnects the two wires.

With the wires disconnected from the coil and the engine running I can short the two contacts (on the coil) with a screwdriver and the engine keeps on running, it should shut off when I do that correct? That points to a problem with the coil in my mind. I've replaced plenty of coils over the years but I've never had one fail in such a way that you couldn't shut the engine off anymore? Never even heard of that happening.

at least the coils for these engines are cheap compared to ones I've had to buy in the past.

TomH&H

LawnSite Senior Member
How old is it? I had a switch go bad on an Echo SRM 266 trimmer. They replaced it under warranty. Supposedly wasn't the first defective switch they've seen at the shop.

OP
D

Dawson

LawnSite Bronze Member
How old is it? I had a switch go bad on an Echo SRM 266 trimmer. They replaced it under warranty. Supposedly wasn't the first defective switch they've seen at the shop.
The switch isn't broken. The fact that the engine won't shut off when you directly short the contacts on the coil eliminates a wiring or switch problem.

Breezmeister

LawnSite Silver Member
The fact that the engine won't shut off when you directly short the contacts on the coil eliminates a wiring or switch problem.

If you are grounding it from tab to tab, then the coil is bad. All the newer coils have a chip in them, it failed.

But... I would want to make sure you have a good ground on the tab that is bolted/screwed to the coil that holds the coil in place. Clean the 2 bolts that hold the coil in place and the tab that the 2 bolts pass through. Retest....

OP
D

Dawson

LawnSite Bronze Member
Thanks for verifying that the coil can fail that way. It's under warranty but I don't have time to wait for my shop to fix it or even to run out there twice during business hours so I just ordered a new coil And I'll replace it when it gets here. The coil for the engine is surprisingly cheap, I'm used to 60 to $90 for a coil and I can find them online for 35 bucks shipped.

OP
D

Dawson

LawnSite Bronze Member
Now the coil on my maruyama bl9000 blower is doing the same thing the shindy did, won't shut off but runs fine. And this is the replacement coil for the original one that died completely 4 months ago....2 failed coils on a one year old blowero_O

Getting a little ridiculous. Am I just having a run of bad luck with 2 stroke coils or are the newer ones failing much more frequently?