1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Thick bladed, light color grass among regular grass

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by fprintf, Aug 14, 2006.

1. fprintf

fprintf LawnSite Member

I have a 9 year old lawn that I hire a professional to handle fertilization and weedkilling. Overall I am very happy with my lawn care company, however this is the first year that I am seeing large spots of very thick patches of wide bladed, light color grass among the darker narrow bladed grass. I much prefer the narrow darker grass.

My lawn guy came and applied a weed killer that seemed to take care of any crabgrass I had around, but barely touched these thick patches. I have uploaded some pictures in hopes that someone can tell me what species this is that is invading my pride and joy.

I did install a sprinkler system this year, but the patches are not necessarily where the pre-emergent was disturbed.

Thanks in advance for the help!

100_0658.JPG

100_0659.JPG

100_0660.JPG

100_0661.JPG

100_0662.JPG

2. fprintf

fprintf LawnSite Member

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Tell your lawn guy his blades need to be sharpened...

4. fprintf

fprintf LawnSite Member

Interestingly, this was the first or second cut after I sharpened my blades. I see what you mean, though, that the ends of all the blades of grass are brown and a few of them somewhat ripped.

It is a very sharp blade, at least I thought it was!!! I think it is perhaps time to get some new blades professionally sharpened, and get the old ones sharpened as spares.

5. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

thought you said it was cut by someone else professionally?

6. mr mow

mr mow LawnSite Senior Member

oh, i had to re-read...its not cut professionally. i do that from time to time.