Thief caught, owner in trouble?

Discussion in 'Stolen Equipment' started by Rockchoplawn, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Rockchoplawn

Rockchoplawn LawnSite Senior Member

Wanted to share this story in case you end up in a similar situation. A local LCO observed a guy going in his trailer to steal something while he was around the corner. Guy was quick on his feet and ended up trapping the guy in there.

Drove him to the police station, and when he got there HE was arrested and not the guy trying to rob him. Said charges are pending... How can we protect our equipment when the liberals got all this PC stuff that gets you in trouble?!?!?

13Razorbackfan likes this.
  2. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Back in 2004 I blocked an employees car from leaving our lot because he had stolen a $200,000 sewer vac, flipped it and fled the scene. Police gave me 30 seconds to move my vehicle or be arrested. Something about blocking someones freedom of movement (and that someone wasn't even back yet). Sucks. Watch what you do.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  3. Rockchoplawn

I don’t get how this is illegal but a “citizens arrest” is. I’ve seen a guy at the mall get caught by one of these and the police were thrilled with his bravery! Ha

4. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Some things the police dont really need to be involved in................just saying.

13Razorbackfan, bmc1025 and knox gsl like this.
  5. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

I think there's a fine line between "unlawful imprisonment" and citizens arrest.

If I recall (I could be wrong on this) a citizens arrest has to be announced , "Im making a citizens arrest" and has to be witnessed by others.

If its just you and the perp... it's his word v yours.

I know I've seen store proprietors catch and keep thieves until the cops arrive with no ill issues.

6. Rockchoplawn

The guy wasn’t unlawfully imprisoned in my opinion! He went into the trailer by his own free will, then was caught off guard when he got locked in and the trailer started moving. LCO just called the police and drove him to the station because it was close

GSO LAWNEN4CER likes this.
  7. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah that could probably be considered kid napping.

Unfortunately theifs have a lot of rights these days

13Razorbackfan likes this.
  8. ltdlawn

ltdlawn LawnSite Silver Member

What a crock

9. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Silver Member
    from Chicago

Most states have what's called a shopkeepers law. Which allows them and or employees to stop someone for shoplifting for a reasonable amount of time. To be handed over to police.

What you cannot do is lock them in a trailer and drive them to a police station. If he had locked the gate and called the police to respond he would have probably seen a different outcome.

10. jimSo14

jimSo14 Banned

In San Fransisco you can be an illegal alien deported six times, have a numerous criminal record, murder a 21 year old American Citizen and get away with it !

You can be a had working US citizen and you can't even protect your own property ....

The Liberal Democratic Party in action !!!