Lawn Care Forum banner

Thieves strike big

7K views 57 replies 49 participants last post by  Steve9 
#1 ·
Well, it happened to us this past weekend. Our fully enclosed trailer loaded with equipment was stolen from our yard. The trailer is a Wells Cargo 8 x 14 x 6.5 and had almost everything in it. Words cannot express my anger right now. In the trailer was 48" Exmark Turf Tracer, 36" Exmark Turf Tracer, 4 Toro commercial 21" mowers, a Tru-Cut blade edger w/ 4 hp Honda, Billy Goat "Termite", 5 Shindaiwa blowers (3 EB480, 2 EB500), 5 Shindaiwa line trimmers (3 T230, 2 T260), 3 Shidaiwa Hedge trimmers (2 double sided 30",1 single sided 40"), brand new Shindaiwa P230 Multi Tool with both the articulating hedge trimmer attachment and the pole chain saw, $300 Jameson pole pruner, 12' orchid ladder plus over $1000 in misc. like extra Goat bags, hand tools, tool box...

99% of the time the trailer is parked behind one of our dumpers, but this past weekend one was getting a flat fixed and the other is out doing bed work and wasn't parked at the shop. This weekend they only had to pull up and cut the padlock on the tongue :(

Insurance will hopefully cover most of it, but check your wording policy closely, our policy depreciates the equipment :( :cry: Everything was 3.5 years old or newer so we should be OK. Next trailer WILL be GPS equiped & tracked.

If you do not already have all your equipment listed in a single form I highly suggest you do so. Here is a copy of our blank equipment inventory sheet for reference (unfortunately our present inventory is all that you see listed...)

Attachments

See less See more
#52 ·
video surveillence camera's and alarm and if you want to enjoy yourself mount a very strong electric fence charger in the trailer connected to a solar panel on the roof to charge the battery. Use a rubber key to turn on/off the system. Key mounted inconspicuously. Whenever the system is turned on it will shock anyone who touches the trailer/hitch etc. Really enjoyed watching someone try to break into my trailer once!

#55 ·
As a person who builds trailers in the off seasen let me remind you of this.......trailers can be stolen without even undoing the locks. The lever type trailer hitch commonly used on lighter trailers can be hooked up without removing the lock. It is really a simple process but the fix can be just as simple. With a lock installed through your hitch and it not hooked to your trailer it seem secure right? Wrong. All a thief has to do is to take a wrench and remove the adjusting nut and the part that secures the ball inside the coupler will come out. Place the coupler onto the towing hitch and replace the adjusting screw and drive off. Notice I never said touch the lock........the thief can worry about that later. Best advice...chain a very large dog to your trailers. The fix can be as simple as the problem. Simply have a welding buddy weld a "glob" onto the end of the threaded adjusting shaft so that the nut cannot come completely off.

#56 ·
Originally posted by Mowing Mike
Dennisf That is how one of my trailers is made the tounge of the trailer is made like a reciver hitch with a pin. I pull the pin and the hitch slides out leaving only a square tube.

Thanks Mike
The problem with this is a thief just needs an end like you removed and he's off. Be sure u put the pin back in and lock it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.