Things I am doing right now...

Discussion in 'Christmas Trees & Seasonal' started by David Gretzmier, Jul 20, 2009.

1. addictedtolandscaping

addictedtolandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Truthfully a friend of mine built it, didn't charge me anything. All I have into it is the time to write up the info on the pages, and the cost of the domain name.

I have just about liked the marketing requirements,

Website is up
    Graphics are coming
    Cards are on hand
    Mailers are set
    Signs are ordered
    Work orders are a the printers being touched up
    Shirts will be ordered today
    Meeting with Chamber of Commerce moved to Monday, bringing the catalog and think am going to do a flier in the monthly newsletter - don;t know weither to use the standard form letter HBL has or just get 3000 of the fliers printed and stuffed in.

With a little luck, we should be in good shape. I wold like to get more product in stock as well, and get my house done up. All is going well so far I think.

THanks for the compliments on the site Dave. It really means a lot to me, everyone who has seen it has had nothing but good things to say so far, sent it out to Mike and he told the rest of the staff about it, first email I got was from Stacy, then Mike and Scott. It is really encouraging to get the positive feedback from people that have been and are successful.

2. OP
    OP
    David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I think you got an awesome deal on your website. I hired a local web company, spent 1200 bucks, and am currently on the hook for 30 bucks a month for hosting, and it won't work on my or my wife's computer. Yours has way more photos and is very clean and well laid out. It will get you jobs, no doubt. mine is more geared toward landscape ligting, and I see the value in yours to get me Christmas light jobs. I may call your friend.

3. TexasFire221

TexasFire221 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

The Chamber of Commerce mailer is awesome. Last year was my first year in business and 90% of my business came from the mailer. This year I have 3 McDonalds to do from the mailer. Definatly use the flyers! For the mailer I actually printed them from my home computer and they stuff and mail out. Its a must do.

Dave, I remember you talking about the BNI Network. Did you ever get any Holiday Lighting jobs from them? I am working with the director to get a group going in my area.

4. OP
    OP
    David Gretzmier

from BNI I have gotten about 14 grand in work since joining in march, about 9 of that has been landscape lighting which I love. I will let you know on holiday lighting, I have gotten 1 referral on selling an artificial tree so far this year. I will pay around 900 for all the breakfasts and membership stuff, so at least I made that back in profits so far this year after 6 months in.

5. addictedtolandscaping

from NY

TExas Thank you. I am up in the air as to creating my own flier or to use the HBL one, but I am definitely going to do something. Truthfully, I am a little concerned about it taking off so hard that I end up having to turn business away. I suddenly have finally realized that it will work, and there will be business, and a lot of it.

Dave again thanks so much for the kudos on the site, the fact that you like it means a lot to me. Did you put you site addy up, I know you mentioned it was going to be up and running, but I think i may have missed it, would love to see how someone I believe to be an expert does designs. IF you didn;t would you mind. Thanks

6. hotrod1965

hotrod1965 LawnSite Senior Member

Your website will do you well. We get a lot of calls and emails from ours. I need to spend a little more time on it to polish it up for this season. www.holidaylightexpress.com

7. OP
    OP
    David Gretzmier

Christmas website looks good, the led link to the website to buy product looks very professionally done. I'd really only add a few more Christmas photo's to the gallery and maybe tweak the fonts on the Christmas site. it is nice and clear.

8. addictedtolandscaping

from NY

It happened today, got the first contact and request for a quote. I had a guy follow me to my excavation site, we chatted about snow plowing, i gave him one of my landscaping and lighting cards, also a catalog as he got excited when he saw the Christmas Lighting, got a message on the machine from him that he wants me to look at a project.

So here we go, off and running.

Amazingly, trucks are done yet, lawn signs aren't done yet, apparel isn't done yet, and here i was in the middle of building a septic field and bam now we are running with the lighting. God am I excited!!

9. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Well, been on on estimate so far(web lead) which are generally good ones. Seemed excited. Went over what he wanted. A lot of specialty stuff. So I set a follow-up appointment so I could check on availability. Met with him, scaled back, agreed on price, set install and take down dates. Supposed to pick up a check on the following Monday, call to confirm, never calls back, call again, no return phone call. Frustrating start to the season.

Ordered more marketing material last night.
    Finalized ads in local magazines.
    Did an interview with local magazine to come out first week of October.

And the biggie, our renewals will go in the mail today. We wait until Labor day so everyone is out of summer vacation mode.

I thought we were ahead of the game but apparently David is way ahead of us.

All the websites look really, really good. makes me want to add more pages to mine.

As far as BNI, I was not a fan of the one I was in. I only chased my tail on referrals, not one sale, for either business. It all seemed to forced to me, like people gave your name just because they were in a group with you and not because the person actually was interested in your services.

10. OP
    OP
    David Gretzmier

I would agree with that, I have had good luck with my BNI group because it is a good group. I'd keep looking for another. I got another 700 bucks in work last week from BNI. They say that your numbers will double to quadruple after 3 years in BNI, as everyone in the group will then know you, trust you, and know exactly what it is you do.

It may appear that I am on the ball, but I feel hopelessly behind. examples-

Uniforms got lost in the UPS mail, so not here yet. Insurance claim pending, and will have to reprint shirts.

1 employee from last year that was to start next monday went in for a job interview for another job last week. he may not be available to me.

postcards are not done for my 3 mailers, 3-tab flyers are not done for this years bids, and although I have some yard signs, I have not ordered more.

Almost all of my trucks need work done- Graphics are still not finished, bumper needs to be replaced, repairs need to be done, etc.

I feel like a loser, I had 7 months to get this junk done and the season starts in 6 days.