Things To Consider Before Purchasing New Mower

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
There are many things to consider when choosing a mower that are easily overlooked. I'll list a few, in no certain order. This list is by no means exhaustive, you may have more that you find important that many might overlook, if so please add.

Engine :
* Type of engine, carbureted or EFI/DFI.
* How easy and convenient is it to change engine oil and hydraulic oil and
filters? What are the hourly oil change intervals. 100, 500, 1000 ?
* Adequate horsepower for deck size.

Deck :
* Stamped or Fabricated deck?
* How many bolt heads are exposed under deck to try to scrap around?
* How hard is the deck to raise and lower with foot and leg pressure?
* Is deck height adjustment fast snd simple or of poor design?
* Type of baffling under deck, adjustable or stationary.
* Pulley covers on deck, ease of removal to clean top of deck.
* Width of discharge opening.
* Blade removal bolt, from top or bottom of deck?
* How many grease zerks and where are they located?
* Trim side of deck visibility from operator seat.

Hydralics :
* Homeowner, Commercial, or Industrial pumps?
* Smoothness of hydralics. Type of hydraulic pumps and wheel motors.
* Length of travel of control arms.

Suspension :
* Type of seat and suspension. Seating position, is it to high or to low?
* Vertical suspension only or fore/aft included
* Type of suspension system if any on frame, four corner front and rear, flex forks, etc.
* Wheelbase of mower, is it long or short?

Miscellaneous :
* Number of cup holders, storage compartment.
* Operator display console, what's included, fuel gauge, tachometer, etc.
* Fuel capacity.
* Available options for mower

Service and Warranty :
* Dealer service if needed or will you do your own maintenance if necessary?
* Length snd type of Warranty, reputation of manufacturer, parts availability.

Intended use :
* Type of terrain, flat, slopes, hills, etc.
* Type of grass, manicured lawns, field grass, overgrown grass and weeds.

These are a few things I will definitely consider before a future purchase. No mower will have everything that the end user might desire, but many are a lot closer than others.

It's only natural that we get accustomed what we currently own and operate and therefore think it's the best. But if we look realistically at the pros and cons, likes and dislikes of the machines we operate it can help us make wiser choices in future purchases.

grass man 11

LawnSite Bronze Member
Flux capacitor? Color of paint for touch ups?

on a serious note- cost and ROI should be a huge consideration, maybe the highest. I’m for all the other stuff, especially deal support, reputation and warranty, but at the end of it all, if the math determines you make less money, then all you have is a hobby.

assuming price is all the same, I consider most of the above. Also possibly trade in value as well. How easy can I flip it. What are other guys in the area using, so it’s easy for me to sell it off.

OP
J

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
Guess I’m the old guy at the party. Started 25 yrs ago 36 and48”ransome belt drive walk behind mowers w pistol grips and prob none of the above features. So while i appreciate features … cut quality - reliability - and overall power are the main things I care about.
There are numerous threads on the forum where people are continuously comparing brands of mowers, asking questions, asking for opinions, trying to decide which mower they should buy.

With the above check list, it might be a starting point and help narrow their decision and get them in the right direction sooner. I would venture to say that many of the things on the list are overlooked and never even considered until after purchase. There are many little

Bitches_Brew

Banned
With the above check list, it might be a starting point and help narrow their decision and get them in the right direction sooner. I would venture to say that many of the things on the list are overlooked and never even considered until after purchase. There are many little
I think 98% of the list could be eliminated just deciding between a commercial and homeowner mower.

Bitches_Brew

Banned
Since you consider that 98% of list could be eliminated, feel free to disclose a list of features you deem important to be considered for someone who is trying to decide between several options.

* Homeowner, Commercial

Service and Warranty :
* Dealer service if needed or will you do your own maintenance if necessary?
* Length snd type of Warranty, reputation of manufacturer, parts availability.

A commercial operator should buy commercial equipment.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
I'd put dealer and service from dealer at #2 if not #1. For years my dealer only carried gravely. I know not the best cut but also only 70% or so or less the price of Xmark. But in a pinch my dealer would fit me in and get me rolling same day 90% of the time.

Top Forums