Things To Consider Before Purchasing New Mower

OP
J

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
I don’t know if I’d call it a “niche” mower or not - maybe. Lots of cool stuff and definitely a nice mower. Still comes down to cut quality though and I’d need to demo it on my props.

Interesting that he says it’s a good mower for bagging very large properties. I’m sure there are some folks on here who would need to do that, I also know I’d pass that account to someone else lol. 40 ponies is insane. Kinda reminds me of the fellas with their 621’s with 400 Verados. I’m sure they’re out there, but I haven’t seen a maintained lawn that needs that much power. Sure is neat though!
Maintained weekly accounts may not need that much power, but this year here in the South it poured rain for weeks. Try going 14-18 days without cutting and you'll discover the advantage of 40 hp.

I've never regretted having the Vanguard 37 EFI on my 72” deck and have often wished it were 50 hp.

tundraman

LawnSite Bronze Member
Maintained weekly accounts may not need that much power, but this year here in the South it poured rain for weeks. Try going 14-18 days without cutting and you'll discover the advantage of 40 hp.

I've never regretted having the Vanguard 37 EFI on my 72” deck and have often wished it were 50 hp.
I have stalled out my 38.5 hp Kawi EFI a number of times on my 672 Gravely. These beasts weigh 1600lbs, go 15mph, spin a heavy 72" deck blades and, I was cutting heavy, moist and tall KY Grass. When you have Covid you are not doing much for a couple weeks except watching the rain and the grass grow.

I drove a new Ferris diesel and going up a steep hill that heavy pig could barely make it. So none of these mowers are overpowered except maybe for a 52" cut with 40 hp.

sagesove

LawnSite Senior Member
The biggest factor before even considering a new machine is can we buy it outright with cash? Not having a credit payment or owing a debt is the most satisfying feeling ever. That is where we always start.

OP
J

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
I have stalled out my 38.5 hp Kawi EFI a number of times on my 672 Gravely. These beasts weigh 1600lbs, go 15mph, spin a heavy 72" deck blades and, I was cutting heavy, moist and tall KY Grass. When you have Covid you are not doing much for a couple weeks except watching the rain and the grass grow.

I drove a new Ferris diesel and going up a steep hill that heavy pig could barely make it. So none of these mowers are overpowered except maybe for a 52" cut with 40 hp.

Can you explain further exactly what you’re referring to when yo say, “I have stalled out my 38.5 hp Kawi EFI a number of times on my 672 Gravely.”

Did rpm's drop and the engine lug for lack of power, or did it completely stop?

Derwood

LawnSite Silver Member
I didn’t insinuate that I would purchase a Wright mower based on the 3 options only Wright offers, but I would keep it in mind if I had narrowed my choice to Wright verses other brand everything else being similar.

If people don’t know the difference in a stamped or fabricated deck, maybe they should learn before purchase and not have buyers remorse later. Different decks works differently in different of grass, so why not choose the best deck for your situation?

When it comes to number of bolt heads under deck, less is better when it comes to scraping under deck. When I purchased my current Hustler Super Z Hyperdrive 72” with VX4 deck I noticed on my initial scraping

Here in the south I'm cutting through hundreds of huge fire ant mounds and underside of deck is plastered with grass sap and wet dirt from fire ant mounds which accumulates to a rock hard layer to be scraped out. The less bolt heads the better. Then again, this would not be a single deciding factor, but since I'm aware of this I would definitely look closely under deck of any mower that 'm considering to purchase.
I didn’t say (or insinuate) anything about you owning a Wright. I just said I wouldn’t because of the deck - it’s a deal breaker. It sounds like it would be hard for a Hyperdrive owner to go back to what the rest of us have. I get that for sure. If your next Hyperdrive didn’t have 75% of all those other little things you like, could you give up the drive system and “load in” with another company. Probably not. Drive systems, engine, deck, dealer (brand) ….. I think those are the things that matter.

With the bolt heads you talked about (for example) you’ve kind of made my point with your own experiences. You didn’t realize you hit the jackpot with the number of bolt heads on your mower til you scraped it (after your purchase). so …. It’s really a non issue, isn’t it? Many things on that list fit in that category. Stamped vs non stamped deck discussions on here are like Ford vs Chevy discussions - it just clutters one’s decision with something that doesn’t really matter. Most of the things on that list are not deal breakers, so they really don’t “matter” then do they? All the other stuff are just things one gets used to when he decides to run it.

OP
J

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
I didn’t say (or insinuate) anything about you owning a Wright. I just said I wouldn’t because of the deck - it’s a deal breaker. It sounds like it would be hard for a Hyperdrive owner to go back to what the rest of us have. I get that for sure. If your next Hyperdrive didn’t have 75% of all those other little things you like, could you give up the drive system and “load in” with another company. Probably not. Drive systems, engine, deck, dealer (brand) ….. I think those are the things that matter.

With the bolt heads you talked about (for example) you’ve kind of made my point with your own experiences. You didn’t realize you hit the jackpot with the number of bolt heads on your mower til you scraped it (after your purchase). so …. It’s really a non issue, isn’t it? Many things on that list fit in that category. Stamped vs non stamped deck discussions on here are like Ford vs Chevy discussions - it just clutters one’s decision with something that doesn’t really matter. Most of the things on that list are not deal breakers, so they really don’t “matter” then do they? All the other stuff are just things one gets used to when he decides to run it.

You have the prerogative to ignore the list and anything I say as insignificant or unimportant.

As I've previously stated, the only purpose of the list was bring attention to things that are often overlooked during the decision making process.

Based on a few replies some seemed to think it might be helpful, other may not which is fine with me.

Please feel free to compose a list that you think would be more appropriate for anyone in the market for a new mower.

Bitches_Brew

Banned
You have the prerogative to ignore the list and anything I say as insignificant or unimportant.

As I've previously stated, the only purpose of the list was bring attention to things that are often overlooked during the decision making process.

Based on a few replies some seemed to think it might be helpful, other may not which is fine with me.

Please feel free to compose a list that you think would be more appropriate for anyone in the market for a new mower.
I think your list if more a homeowner/hobbyist list.......

not one a person buying a mower to make money with list.

For example....

A Gravely 460 will make the same amount of money as a 260 and cost much less. Yeah, you might not have the air ride seat and fancy deck lift, but some things costs more to fix if they do fail.

This holds more true when buying a fleet of 5-10.

kemco

LawnSite Fanatic
The biggest factor before even considering a new machine is can we buy it outright with cash? Not having a credit payment or owing a debt is the most satisfying feeling ever. That is where we always start.
I know I know... Another thread but I still have zero issues financing. In fact I prefer it big time.

Top Forums