Things To Consider Before Purchasing New Mower

njmowerman

LawnSite Member
Some commercial properties (churches, apartments, etc.) keep a mower in the garage and have their own maintenance guys cut 5-10-15 acres on a whenever it needs it basis. They don't necessarily need the durability of a full commercial mower.

OP
J

JLH52

LawnSite Senior Member
If unfamiliar with a certain type and brand of machine,features, operational limits look toward dealers with demo units, try them out on your average lawns and the most challenging sites; this lets you experience your productivity, ease of use, cost efficiency, trailer fit for your operation. I have done this with multiple brands, Walker, Ferris, Exmark, JD, Wright, Hustler, Toro. I have purchased many of these, used them all, and based on current clients, property size, terrain, productivity and ROI, decided which ones fit the needs of the company. Currently run the JD 997 diesel, rear discharge, with gator blades. I do not even look at “homeowner machines”
Being that you have demoed the brands you listed above, what were your likes or dislikes on the Hustler mower and which model and year was the Hustler?

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
There are numerous threads on the forum where people are continuously comparing brands of mowers, asking questions, asking for opinions, trying to decide which mower they should buy.

With the above check list, it might be a starting point and help narrow their decision and get them in the right direction sooner. I would venture to say that many of the things on the list are overlooked and never even considered until after purchase. There are many little
Nah
It doesn’t help all it does it make newbies ask more questions they can’t get an answer to

a flow chart would be interesting

if … then
That might help narrow it down

Prestigious1

LawnSite Senior Member
Some commercial properties (churches, apartments, etc.) keep a mower in the garage and have their own maintenance guys cut 5-10-15 acres on a whenever it needs it basis. They don't necessarily need the durability of a full commercial mower.
I know a Church that does this...and they have different volunteers operating the machine every week...some with experience, others without. It's still a LOT of grass to mow...and the unit gets operated roughly and the consumer units did not last. They went to a commercial unit and it takes their abuse quite well and is far outlasting the consumer units. Of course everything is relative. If they have the same volunteer mowing and doesn't abuse the machine a consumer unit would likely last much longer to be sure, but I still believe the commercial unit offers better life.

Derwood

LawnSite Silver Member
Nah
It doesn’t help all it does it make newbies ask more questions they can’t get an answer to

a flow chart would be interesting

if … then
That might help narrow it down
Kinda like : where do you live and what kinda grass you cut. Get those two things down and the mower you’re running is almost a given.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Kinda like : where do you live and what kinda grass you cut. Get those two things down and the mower you’re running is almost a given.
There’s more to it than that
What access? (Gates or open properties)
Need for collection or mulching
Rook for storage/ trailer size?
Types of properties (heavy landscaped of just grass)

after answering most questions it will more often than not come to “what color do you like and how much do you want to spend?”

Top Forums