Things to do to prepare for 2009 sales

OP
D

David Gretzmier

LawnSite Gold Member
I have some other thread on my hatred of the GFCI, and why. we try to not only go out and reset, but take a few cords and try to rebalance load to other outlets. sometimes you get the same amount of rain but it will not pop because you move the load to the garage, the back deck, etc.

turf hokie

LawnSite Silver Member
I have some other thread on my hatred of the GFCI, and why. we try to not only go out and reset, but take a few cords and try to rebalance load to other outlets. sometimes you get the same amount of rain but it will not pop because you move the load to the garage, the back deck, etc.
I agree, we had one customer we almost lost for this very reason. We switched to LED but still had issues. Split the job up even more than we needed, and made sure all extension cords were taped and all splitters were at least 6 inches off the ground. It seemed to work as we only had one call after that and that was due to 2 inches of rain in 12 hours, not much to do with that.

hotrod1965

LawnSite Senior Member
I, of course assume everyone will pay, even though some will not. Further, all rehangs this year have paid in the past. If not, I would not hang them. So I take down primarily for that reason. The other obvious reason is I store thier lights at my warehouse, and if they do not pay, at least I have thier lights to resell if they never pay to recoup something.
I am only talking about new customers on taking thier lights down. rehangs I don't worry about, and don't typically have issues with. But, you have 50% of thier money, which should cover all your material costs, then you can pull them down and resell them that year if it is early enough. I will say, I have never had a new customer not pay.

The problem with you selling thier lights that you store for them, is that they are not your lights to sell. You would have to have them agree to the fact that you get thier stuff if they don't pay. (in your contract)

hotrod1965

LawnSite Senior Member
I have another client that wants their full amount of money back, due to the amount of popped GFI's. Yet we went out on every service call in a couple of hours from when the call came in. We had one of the worst Decembers in history in terms of snow, ice, rain and thaws.
I bet I know what goes into your contract next year.....

I will say that talking with you guys over the last year, really made our contract a little better. I would recommend that everyone reads through these threads and makes notes. You have the opportunity to learn from others experiences and really be ahead of the curve!

OP
D

David Gretzmier

LawnSite Gold Member
I agree, my contract should allow for selling customers lights when they don't pay, I've always wondered when customer lights revert back to me. 1 year, 2 years? 5? I've followed the 2 year rule. If they don't pay in season 1, by the befinning of the 3rd year, those lights are available to sell. I have applied a used wholesale cost against what folks owe and have never come out ahead.

turf hokie

LawnSite Silver Member
I bet I know what goes into your contract next year.....

I will say that talking with you guys over the last year, really made our contract a little better. I would recommend that everyone reads through these threads and makes notes. You have the opportunity to learn from others experiences and really be ahead of the curve!
We also state that we will be by to service the lights on a schedule, but we will service a property that has a significant problem as they arise, however, as it is impossible to service every single bulb that may burn out please wait until you have at least 4-5 bulbs out to call for a service visit. This is not exact wording but you get the idea. There is no such thing as too much detail when it comes to terms and conditions because there is always someone looking for a loophole.